Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sponson/propeller

Has anyone tried with out the sponsons yet? These stock ones really make it turn and grab. They do appear to be awfully big. What about a different pitch on the prop? I know on outboards you can make a world of difference by changing props. I just feel there is some mph be held back here.

Ride Plate
    - Features a groove from the center to the rear of the ride plate, to enhance straight-line stability

This is on the kawai web site, I can not see a grove in my ride plate or either I do not know what I am looking for.

13xracing - aka 427racing 13xracing's Avatar
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Ultra 150 sponsons seem to have a matching bolt pattern. Once this damn snow melts, AGAIN, I will let you know on the sponsons.

Everyone in the forum that has riden seems to be around 5-600ft above sea level, so it will be interesting to see what it does here at 1200-1300ft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorne1053 View Post
    Has anyone tried with out the sponsons yet? These stock ones really make it turn and grab. They do appear to be awfully big. What about a different pitch on the prop? I know on outboards you can make a world of difference by changing props. I just feel there is some mph be held back here.

Ride Plate
    - Features a groove from the center to the rear of the ride plate, to enhance straight-line stability

This is on the kawai web site, I can not see a grove in my ride plate or either I do not know what I am looking for.

The groove they speak about is the cut out section running down the middle of the ride plate. It starts about midway and runs to the transom edge.

Richard

Thanks Richard for clearing that up. I was beginning to think mine was different from everyone else.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 427racing View Post
    I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Ultra 150 sponsons seem to have a matching bolt pattern. Once this damn snow melts, AGAIN, I will let you know on the sponsons.

Everyone in the forum that has riden seems to be around 5-600ft above sea level, so it will be interesting to see what it does here at 1200-1300ft.

My first time out was at 1200ft lake. Most of my testing is. The sponsons are stepped UP in back. Wonder what the thought was on that?

The stock sponson design seems to, AGAIN, keep the nose in the water. If you'll notice, the sponson has a flat bottom, a slight downward curve to the rear, and is extremely wide. The 'step' you talk about is very unaggressive.

Everyone seems to want to over do the rideplate, or the wedges, but have totally forgot about the sponsons. Baby steps. Take a little out of the ride plate, one wedge, straight aggressive sponsons.

The stock sponsons do not even go below the body line on the hull. Not even a 1/2" lip for handling. Once you eliminate the arch, width, and extend the depth, I think you will not only create less drag, but better handling also.

+1
    man,
    I LOVE the handling on this ski. I don't want to do anything that takes that away.

I don't know if you've ever had aftermarket sponsons, but it is night and day when it comes to handling. My first experience years ago with sponsons, was actually on a n Ultra 150. After a couple turns it launched me.
    The incredible handling takes a little getting used to, but increasing the depth on the sponson will totally change the response you get when turning. It becomes 100x more responsive than stock. No more 'sliding' around turns and don't even think about 'spinouts' ( I used to do those when I was 16, don't make fun of me. that was 15 years ago)

Any how, here is some pics that show the 'hook' that is incorporated in slowing down the ski and keeping the nose in the water.

Again, you must find a happy medium between all the components and not just overdo a couple. That will in turn make a more responsive and better handling ski.

I mean, imagine trimming your vts up all the way and sure it gets more speed, but you loose the handling. Thats what going to happen if you over do the rideplate and wedges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1231.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	17721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1232.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	17722  

+1
    Yessir,
    I know a "thing or two" about handling.

http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/pump.html

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1

sponsons

We could just flip um over and put them on the opposites sides and see what happens, lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information