Charging system not working 07 RXT

Just purchased a 2007 SeaDoo RXT with 78 hours on it. I will try to make this a detailed as I can so sorry for making this a long post. Started it up in the driveway and was getting a LOW 12V error. Figured it was the battery so I went out and picked one up. Threw it in thinking everything was good and went to the lake. Fired it up and its still telling me that. I was also throwing a knock sensor code as soon as i got on the throttle. I figured that was in relation to the Low 12V because i wasn't hearing any pinging. She was running fantastic. Put 3 hours on it since and now the battery is down to 10.5 V. Now i know the charging system isn't working. I know the rectifiers are pretty touchy so without even testing it (ya ya) I ordered a replacement and put that in. Welp... that didn't work. I checked all of the fuses at the MPEM. On my machine there are only 2 (30A Battery, 30A Charging). They are all good. Next in line was to check the stator. I ran all 3 test and this is what I came up with. When I ohm out 1-2, 1-3, 2-3 I get .4 ohms on each winding. That passes. When I run the machine and check AC at the stator on all 3 winding's I get 24 VAC on all. That passes. When I ohm out each winding to ground I get like 45 ohms. Am I doing that correct? Seems weird that its the same on all of them. I am also pretty sure I am supposed to get 0. I checked continuity from the stator to ground and i get nothing so I know there isn't a short. At least I think...

I also tested something else. Those tests I ran right at the stator plug. I also checked back where it plugs into the rectifier. I was getting a total different set of numbers. I was thinking well maybe there is something wrong with the harness so I started checking it over, moving it around. Ran the test again and i was getting the same results as i was when I was testing at the stator. At that point i was like well maybe its a wire harness problem. Being that the numbers were good I went to try and start it to see what it was. Now when i put the key in, the relay at the MPEM goes nuts!.

So what do you think? Do I have a bad stator and a bad harness or just a bad harness? Is there any common issues with this machine that i should go to first?

Thanks
    Justin

+1
    First recharge your battery so you are at 12-12.8 volts. Start your ski and read voltage at the battery around 4000rpm, should be around 14v. If not then check your wiring connectors. My ski had an intermittent peoblem with low volts. I did all the same troubleshooting as per the maual and everything checked out ok. Then I started to ring out my wiring and the connectors were corroded, not really noticeable, but enough to cause a prblem. I used some contact cleaner and a paper clip to clean out the pins. Everything is back to normal. I think the harness between the stator and rectifier was the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by FDRXT View Post
    First recharge your battery so you are at 12-12.8 volts. Start your ski and read voltage at the battery around 4000rpm, should be around 14v. If not then check your wiring connectors. My ski had an intermittent peoblem with low volts. I did all the same troubleshooting as per the maual and everything checked out ok. Then I started to ring out my wiring and the connectors were corroded, not really noticeable, but enough to cause a prblem. I used some contact cleaner and a paper clip to clean out the pins. Everything is back to normal. I think the harness between the stator and rectifier was the culprit.

Thats exactly where I think my problem is as well. Not running the battery shows 12.0, running it shows 11.9. I am going to check that harness tonight. 99% sure my problem is there. Either that or its that pos aftermarket reg i bought. grr

Thread Information