Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy polaris virage half speed

I have a 2001 polaris virage that will only go to 20mph or 4000 rpm. It has new plug, new gas , new fuel lines.A few years ago,I updated cdi and fuel sending unit. I'am getting no warning light on the rpm limiter to indicate a sensor. Starts fine, idles fine, runs fine and for ever at 4000 rpm. Any thing over that it bogs down and quits. Restart is not a problem, like it may be flooded. NO choke required to restart, so i think its getting gas. I have also flushed the cooling system and cleaned the carborator. I have not rebuild the carb. Any help would be appreciated. Compression check shows 150 on both cylinders.
    Last edited by gabe1650; 06-11-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Will it rev to above 4000 when out of the water, on the trailer?

This is a two cylinder engine with a single carburetor, correct?

What do you mean you 'updated' the CDI? The Virage came from the factory with the Gen III ignition system.

Which spark plugs are you using?

Are both cylinders getting equally warm when running?

Is there a Reverse message on the display?

I have a 2002 that's doing the same thing I can bypass the fuel water separator and shut off valve and go straight from the supply line in the tank to the carb and it runs great no bog at all and I've tried a 2nd fuel water separator used and it does the same thing bogs down there is nothing restricting the gas on off valve? I haven't tried a new water separator filter yet but I think that's next?

Sorry wasn't trying to hijack ur post try going direct from the supply line to the carb and see if it helps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinker View Post
    I have a 2002 that's doing the same thing I can bypass the fuel water separator and shut off valve and go straight from the supply line in the tank to the carb and it runs great no bog at all and I've tried a 2nd fuel water separator used and it does the same thing bogs down there is nothing restricting the gas on off valve? I haven't tried a new water separator filter yet but I think that's next?

Sorry wasn't trying to hijack ur post try going direct from the supply line to the carb and see if it helps
    Have you replaced the fuel selector valve?

If that valve develops air leaks while under suction from the fuel pump, it will cause problems for the carburetors.

Lets gather some more info regarding gabe1650's machine before we start tossing potential fixes at him

polaris virage half speed

Thanks for the quick response. I'am a new user and having problems on how to use the site. Hope this goes through.
    I think your on to something. I can get 7000 to 8000 rpms on the trailer. This is with the seat off and I have seen some blogs about exhaust fumes choking out the carb. I have not found any leaks. whats your take on this? Oth er imfo. 2 cyl. single carb.- has run fine since the cdi change 2 yrs. ago -Plug NGK 3923 -cyl.equal temp. and no reverse message.

+1
    That may not be the correct spark plug.

When running on the trailer there is no load on the jet pump so the engine can rev. There is no electronic RPM limiter holding the revs down, so the problem must be low engine power.

Check cylinder compression.

polaris virage half speed

as in my first thread ,compression test showing 150 on both cyl. More specific on plug NGK 3923 -bpr8es is what I use and that is from the owners manual.????

+1
    Well, work through some more diagnostics.

Ohm check the ignition coil, spark plug wires and boots.

I would properly rebuild the carburetor, as it is so critical to proper engine operation. And rebuild or replace the fuel selector valve. Original gray Tempo fuel hoses? Replace them.

Engine requires fuel, compression, spark and correct ignition timing to deliver power. You say compression is good, so check the other aspects.

I pulled the carb. to check for obstructions, since I put new lines on last week. thought maybe something got by me in the installation of the new lines. The sled runs worse, like no fuel? I have to choke the devil out it to get it start and it bogs down when you try to go.So I'am going with fuel for now. I'll have to order a carb. rebuild and be back after that. thanks for the help so far

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe1650 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I'am a new user and having problems on how to use the site. Hope this goes through.
    I think your on to something. I can get 7000 to 8000 rpms on the trailer. This is with the seat off and I have seen some blogs about exhaust fumes choking out the carb. I have not found any leaks. whats your take on this? Oth er imfo. 2 cyl. single carb.- has run fine since the cdi change 2 yrs. ago -Plug NGK 3923 -cyl.equal temp. and no reverse message.
    I was getting limp mode on my 01 Genesis 1200 carbd. I got the rev warning briefly then it went away but stayed in limp. Found out last night that the rev would only work putting the bucket in the down position. It would not go up. I pulled the bucket and linkage and disconnected the wiring harness going to the reverse motor. It runs like a champ now. Mine was bogging before I temp disconnected the wiring harness to the rev. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information