central florida

Mikuni SBN 44 throttle shaft, buy the bushings/seals or sand shafts/re-install

first post and all that, greetings to all-

so i picked up a 02GPR a few weeks back after ten years off the water and have gotten around to tearing into it to fix some carb issues- one being sticky throttle shafts...the previous owner stuck a big return spring on the carb as a temp fix which works well enough until it heats up a bit. but i'd much rather fix it than leave it rigged...

so i've spent alot of time reading the FAQ threads and came across how to fix the throttle shaft issue; i was going to go ahead and pull the shafts this afternoon, but it occured to me that mikuni has to sell replacement parts for the shaft...however, the thread i came upon said the blade/shaft are not technically serviceable...

so then i found this for the SBN 44's:

Kit includes the following parts:

1-Super BN 44mm Throttle Shaft (extended)-Mikuni part no. 703-89004
    1-Super BN 44mm #120 Throttle Valve-Mikuni part no. BN44/06-120
    2-Super BN 44mm Throttle Shaft Seal-Mikuni part no. N167.126
    1-Super BN 44mm Throttle Shaft Clip (std)-Mikuni part no. BN38/566
    2-Super BN 44mm Throttle Shaft Washer (nylon) *not shown*-Mikuni part no. N114.077
    2-Super BN 44mm Throttle Shaft Bushing-Mikuni part no. BN38/569

it seems like a better idea to at least replace the shaft seals/bushings along with polishing the old shafts for it worth it to replace these parts? are they even the correct P/Ns? or does just pulling them and sanding them/replacing throttle blade screws work well enough? i don't want to sink too much cash into these carbs if i don't need to since i already have to buy rebuild kits, strip and re-paint, etc.

Tampa, Florida
    I had the sticky carb shaft problem and the repair thread in this forum really worked well. If the rubber bushings and/or shafts are really messed up-maybe consider gently used. lots of people on here have left over parts sitting around. good luck michael

central florida
    thanks for the reply...i found out there are different versions of the SBN 44, the one used on the GPR is a SBN 44(I) and the parts i found listed are for a regular SBN 44...i think the throttle shaft is a bit longer on the non-I version, but i don't see why the bushings wouldn't work for both versions. more research needed

i guess i have nothing to lose doing the repair without new bushings...i have bigger issues with the carbs- the guy before me left the screws out of the valve body in the first carb i took apart- damn thing was rattling around. i'm wondering what other surprizes i'm gonna find
    Last edited by theprophet; 06-12-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Thread Information