Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hot Engine and Low RPMs '08 RXP-X

Last time out, ski ran flawlessly in the ocean. I hosed it down with fresh water, flushed it for a couple minutes, coated it with WD-40, and put it away.

Today, in fresh water, the ski ran like it was on 2 cylinders - about 5200 RPMs max. I pulled back in and swapped in fresh plugs. The old ones looked fine, but they were HOT! The engine was very hot to the touch, as well. With new plugs, ski started right up, ran smooth, pulled out of the hole well... and then fell flat on its face to 5200 RPMs max.

Engine was again too hot to touch, but did not set off any temp warnings. Exhaust manifold while running at idle in the water was cool to the touch, so the pump is supplying water OK. Compression was 125 in all 3, pump was clear of debris, oil is full and clear, and coolant is full and did not disappear (although the coolant was too hot to touch, as well). Brand new plugs had almost no color, just a greenish-yellowish deposit on the ground strap.

Strange thing is how the ski ran well for about 10 seconds with the new plugs... Almost seems like the plugs are overheating and fouling out lean?

So - clogged fuel filter? Failing fuel pump? Failing fuel pressure regulator? Clogged thermostat (shouldn't that set off the temp sensor?) All of those pieces are stock.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

+1
    If it never got above 5200 RPM's it could be your SC... When did you last rebuild it...how many hours? I had a hose running to my supercharger come unclamped once and the ski did exactly this.

Supercharger was rebuilt about 6 hours ago, so I hope that isn't the issue. I didn't see any disconnected hoses or see or hear any leaks when it was running, so I think the hoses are all connected, as well. It ran well until the new plugs got heat soaked (or at least that's how I interpret it) so I think it is a heat issue, which leads me to either fuel delivery or cooling system. Since the plugs had no color to them, I'm leaning (get it?) toward a fuel delivery problem.

Eric

+1
    Was it hitting any limp modes? low oil pressure, or high temp alarms will put it in limp. Is the buzzer working when u put the key on?

Howz the oil level?
    WHo did the rebuild on the SC'r ?

There were no alarms whatsoever, which is why I was wondering if it would go into limp mode without an alarm. Yes, the buzzer works when I put the key in, and it worked when I was doing a compression test and had the coils out.

The oil level is right where it is supposed to be, and is clear - not even slightly dirty yet.
    The supercharger was rebuilt by the dealership before I bought it. They are reputable, but maybe it wasn't done correctly?

Would a failing supercharger cause the engine to run very hot?

Eric

My ski has a few mods, but nothing crazy (or so I thought). Would these mods make a RRFPR or larger injectors necessary?
    • Riva 3" Air Intake
    • Riva Intercooler Relocation kit
    • Riva Rear Exhaust Exit
    • Riva BOV
    • Riva Intake Upgrade (FA Delete)

Eric

+1
    Loose the BOV and test again.

I know everybody is against BOVs on here, but it really works well and off-throttle transitions are very smooth. If the BOV was leaking boost then wouldn't the ski run cooler? If the BOV is bad then why did the ski run fine for a while after a plug change? Believe me, I thought about it as the culprit, but it just doesn't make sense. I like the ideas, though - keep 'em coming. I hope somebody reads this and just knows exactly what my issue is, but that may be just a pipe dream.

Eric

+1
    5200Rs sounds like S/C crapped out or boost hose popped off. (or BOV)
    snatch off the air-intake and try to spin the wheel.

+1
    The engine is thermostatically controlled to 185deg if you get an exhaust overheat (fresh water cooling) you will go into limb mode and sometimes no code or beep not saying this is your case but a leaky/flakey BOV will leak boost and rpms will be limited. Plugs should be white on a forced induction motor but the greenish electrode should be some concern maybe bad fuel any additives added to the tank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information