2004 GTX limited Supercharged coolant question

Bought a ski, engine was rebuilt last season because it was flipped and the lanyard was not attached so it stayed running. Got it out on the water a couple of weeks ago and the after 40 mins the engine hi temp alarm went off. The coolant reservoir was empty. Trying step by step to trouble shoot this, I drained out all the coolant, and refilled it. Do I need to pressurize it or will the engine do this automatically. The thermostat was replaced when the engine was replaced, found the return hose I could spin, kinda hoping that was the issue

+1
    welcome to the GH
    if you found the leak you may be all set
    you may need to refill the bottle again after the system gets all the air out

+1
    Same problem just happened with my son's 2007 gtx sc. i found no leak in mine but i did discover when the ski is first being used after sitting for a while the engine temperature sensor doesn't completely open up, so when it does open up it thinks the engine is very hot so it drains the coolant thinking it needs to cool the engine down. Still check and make sure there are no leaks but it is most likley just a finicky not broken sensor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pummsgtx255 View Post
    Same problem just happened with my son's 2007 gtx sc. i found no leak in mine but i did discover when the ski is first being used after sitting for a while the engine temperature sensor doesn't completely open up, so when it does open up it thinks the engine is very hot so it drains the coolant thinking it needs to cool the engine down. Still check and make sure there are no leaks but it is most likley just a finicky not broken sensor.
    WOW are you sure....LOL

+1

Cool

If you found the leak then great.
    But normally when the coolant jug empties out its because the head gasket is blown...

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks guys, there isn't any coolant in the oil, and the head gasket was replaced when the engine was. Taking it out this weekend hopefully it was just the loose hose clamp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pummsgtx255 View Post

I hate to tell ya but thats not the case...The water temp sensor is a switch that goes off at a certain temp and thats it..its either on,or off no in between...and as far as the coolant draining??were does it drain to???There is nowhere for it to drain to it is a pressurized closed loop system just like your car....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy View Post
    Thanks guys, there isn't any coolant in the oil, and the head gasket was replaced when the engine was. Taking it out this weekend hopefully it was just the loose hose clamp
    How long was the ski running upside down for????was there any antifreeze in the bottom of the hull when you uprighted it??

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Newguy View Post
    How long was the ski running upside down for????was there any antifreeze in the bottom of the hull when you uprighted it??

I bought it after the event and after the engine was rebuilt, I have the receipts from the marina that rebuilt it

Bringing this question back....So I gave up brought it to a BRP dealer that is having trouble diagnosing it. The engine is still overheating because the coolant system seems to have a blockage. they refilled the system, Burped it, checked and pressurized for leaks....no leaks found but the coolant temp at the rideplate is cool (Fine) but its not at the engine meaning it's not circulating... if that makes any sense. They checked the Thermostat and that is fine.....any ideas....already at $600 and the issue isn't solved

Thread Information