Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Seadoo 96 GTX Sponson issues

Greetings to all.
    I am the new guy....I will get right to the point.
    I traded full setup jon boat for a 96 Seadoo Bombardier, I assume it is GTX only because I found the GTX on the broken speedometer. I cannot find any another markings other than the motor Type: 587 Rotax and the Vin ends in 96 but does not show up on any search at the local PWC shop so it must have been produced at the late part of 95 then put into market in early 96
    This thing runs like a bat out of hell, but it is very unstable for me. I am old big guy (45yrs -280lbs) with kids under 17, they want to ride but I cannot let them until I stabilize it somehow.
    My first time out another guy barely bumped me at the ramp and it turned me over.

I need advice, I am pretty good at modifications, (I have rebuilt 17ft bass boat from the stringers up.)

The factory sponsons are tiny about 13 inches long curved with a slight undercurve on the bottom.

I found a set of Yamaha 1200xl sponsons on ebay 23" long 2 1/4 deep, I can modify them to fit....will this give me my stablity back?
    I won't be doing no racing...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo96gtx View Post
    Greetings to all.
    I am the new guy....I will get right to the point.
    I traded full setup jon boat for a 96 Seadoo Bombardier, I assume it is GTX only because I found the GTX on the broken speedometer. I cannot find any another markings other than the motor Type: 587 Rotax and the Vin ends in 96 but does not show up on any search at the local PWC shop so it must have been produced at the late part of 95 then put into market in early 96
    This thing runs like a bat out of hell, but it is very unstable for me. I am old big guy (45yrs -280lbs) with kids under 17, they want to ride but I cannot let them until I stabilize it somehow.
    My first time out another guy barely bumped me at the ramp and it turned me over.

I need advice, I am pretty good at modifications, (I have rebuilt 17ft bass boat from the stringers up.)

The factory sponsons are tiny about 13 inches long curved with a slight undercurve on the bottom.

I found a set of Yamaha 1200xl sponsons on ebay 23" long 2 1/4 deep, I can modify them to fit....will this give me my stablity back?
    I won't be doing no racing...
    are theyre any pics of it you can post?? i believe the gtx is one of the most stable hulls seadoo offered theyre almost impossible to flip... the X4 hull is the one you have to look out for as they are known for being unstable..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo96gtx View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1996 Seadoo 001.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	303525
    Here she is.
    nice looking ski... that unfortunately for you is not a gtx is looks to me to be either an XP or an SPX... since its a 96 i believe its an SPX from the color combo.. usually they are white and green for a 96 and the xp is yellow...

that is the X4 hull.. one of the more desirable light weight hulls notorious for being unstable.. someone removed the rear grab bar btw....

here is what a 96 gtx looks like...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=96+g...w=1366&bih=655

and here is what a 96 spx looks like...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=96+s...w=1366&bih=655

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    could be a repainted SPi

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    could be a repainted SPi
    actually i think your right the spi had the gauge pod built into the hood, and the spx and xp didnt... not to mention the little scoop right by the seat is totally spi design and not spx... my mistake. thanks for catching that.

Yeah it was repainted and they did a sorry job.
    I will show pics as I redo it. The hood seat and handlebar cover is in the shop now.
    What about the sponson idea, what do y'all think?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Its older if it has a 587 in it?

curious:

and not to steal the thread... but is my 97 GT Bombadier an X4 hull?? I am a complete jet ski novice too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information