To Buy 2003 & 2004 GTX SC Limited

Hello,

Newbie here, I am strongly considering buying a 2003 & 2004 Sea-Doo GTX Limited. One has 30 hours, the other has 36.6 hours. To my knowledge the only maintenance that has been done are oil changes and new batteries. I have been reading about the Super charger issues with the ceramic washers. Even with the low hours, would it be wise to have both Super chargers rebuilt? Also, are there any differences in the 2003 and 2004 models? I noticed that the washers here only specify '04-'05: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...kvishk9j293ag6

Before buying them what key items should I look for? They have been run in both fresh and salt water. Impeller damage and SC spinning freely? Any other major items to watch out for? I've seen them in person and heard them run (not in water) and they seem to be in great shape - They look almost brand new.

In terms of maintenance, I figure these will need new battery, oil change, spark plug change, and perhaps SC rebuild or metal washer replacement. Any other thoughts?

Also, he's a friend of the family and asking $7,500 for the pair including trailer and extras. That seems like a great deal to me.

Price is ok, but not sure where you are located. I would be concerned about the low hours on the 2004. They had exhaust valve corrosion issues, and seem to have problems when skis sit up for periods of time.

+1
    keep in mind the 03 is non-intercooled(185hp)....think the 04 is the same, but not positive.....i had an 03,was a great ski.

+1
    Have the chargers completely rebuilt.
    Washers and bearings..
    Make sure the washers haven't already broken and fallen into the motor.

Also with that low of hours if they havent been fogged for storage I'd say replace the valves.
    It's no joke because when they sit the valves pit and rust.
    So once you do put a few hours on them the break and total out the motor.
    I've seen this many times.
    It's a few $$$ now but many $$$$ when they break.

Do a compression test.
    Ride them for 20+ minutes to see if any issues POP up.
    Check oil before and after testing.
    They are great skis if you immediately do the charger rebuilds and valves.

Maybe get him to come off the price to help compensate for the repairs.

Rip on...

+1
    When testing ride full throttle.
    They are meant to be run.
    Also double dose the fuel with Injector cleaner.
    A clogged Injector can toast a piston quick.
    Good luck..

Hey guys, thanks for your input. Wasn't expecting so many repairs right out the gate. It sounds like the 2003 is almost a better ski than the 2004 due to the exhaust valve issues. I read through the exhaust valve thread, but can anyone provide a cost estimate for replacing all the valves? Is it $500, $1000? (Trying to get an order of magnitude).

So, with the repairs in mind, what do you think would be a fair offering price for these 2 skis and a trailer? $6,500?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fechner View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for your input. Wasn't expecting so many repairs right out the gate. It sounds like the 2003 is almost a better ski than the 2004 due to the exhaust valve issues. I read through the exhaust valve thread, but can anyone provide a cost estimate for replacing all the valves? Is it $500, $1000? (Trying to get an order of magnitude).

So, with the repairs in mind, what do you think would be a fair offering price for these 2 skis and a trailer? $6,500?
    head gasket 86.00
    supertech valves 499.00
    rocker arm bolts 37.00
    and your time to do it ???

Quote Originally Posted by mikelytle1077 View Post
    head gasket 86.00
    supertech valves 499.00
    rocker arm bolts 37.00
    and your time to do it ???
    Will the 2003 need new valves or is this only 2004 and up? They've both been doing a lot of sitting.

+1
    Fechner, just because you buy a 2003/2004 ski doesn't mean you are going to be spending money on valves. I had a 2004 GTX S/C with 50 hours on it and the valves were perfect. It's just going to be a hit or miss type situation depending on the ski and how it has been maintained and used.

The early valves are ash filled and of inferior quality. I bought a good, used set of SOLID intake/exhaust valves here on the forum out of an 09' GTX for $150. You don't need $500 Supertech valves but as Mike said, you will need a head gasket and a new set of OEM rocker shaft bolts, new head bolts and a good torque wrench. The head bolts will torque in 3 stages. If you can pull the head yourself, take it to your local machine shop. Most of my local shops charge $75 to change valves and touch up the seats.

The supercharger rebuild is a MUST, no questions asked. Don't take any differing advice on that issue.

Thread Information