Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

The Grand Tour, Mackinaw to Holland 350 miles, Aug 7

PWC riders Looking for a Challenge!
    ... Well, look no further! The 2014 Grand Tour to Benefit Leader Dogs for the Blind kicks off on August 6th, and if it’s anything like we had last year, it will definitely challenge you and your ski.

The Grand Tour is a 3-day, 350-mile ride on Lake Michigan, from Mackinaw in the North to Holland in the South. The ride raises money for Leader Dogs for the Blind, located in Rochester Hills, MI. This group trains dogs to assist the visually impaired, at no cost to the recipient, and is privately funded.

In the 16 years of this event, we have raised over $265,500! Each rider must raise a minimum of $500 to participate, and is responsible for their own fuel and hotel costs, most meals are provided. The group meets in Holland Aug 6th to begin the adventure!

If you have any interest in this event, or would care to help any rider raise their donation for Leader Dogs, please post, or go to the ride's website for more info.

www.grandtour.org
    to watch the video from last year's ride:
    Last edited by karenkins; 04-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.

+1
    And, the link to the official Grand Tour movie!

+1
    Grand Tour slide show!!! Pics from the water, and from the party after the water!

I rode my first Grand Tour in 2000, on a 95XP. Brutal. Moved up to a 2000RX for the rides in '03 through '08, then got my current 08GTI for '09 to the present. It's always been a challenge, and I've broken down more than once, but the support and commaraderie of the group keeps me coming back every year! When my 'ski would break, someone who dropped out would lend me thiers, fantastic people. And when you get to the ramp at the end, it's hard to descibe the feeling, a mix of relief-pride-satisfaction and even some sorrow that it's over, but just for the year. This is my primary ride every year, if I only got to do one this would be it. And I plan on dooing it as many years as I can, it is one of the big reasons I finally started going to a gym. It is one of the most challenging and fulfilling rides out there, think about joining us!

+1
    I would love to do this run. Maybe next year. Any input on skis and pros/cons of the ride. I am very up to the challenge. What kind of break downs did you guys have.

+1
    Bigger skis are easier, though I ride an 08RXP215, and in the early days, peeps were doing it on XPs! The ride is great, the people involved are the best you'll ever meet! The cons--you pay all your own expenses, and are required to raise a minimum of $500 in donations (or just give the $500 yourself). It's about $300-350 in ski gas, 5 hotel nights, at about $100-140 night(share a room and it's half that), breakfast is part of hotel cost, lunch is provided by volunteers, 2 dinners are provided, 2 are at your own expense. You will be riding a total of about 7 hours each day of the ride. There are frequent short breaks, gas stops are longer since we have 18 skis to fuel up, and lunch stops. Start at dawn, get to the marina for the night at 5 or so, the final day is a bit shorter.

You won't ever be sorry you tried it! I'll have Lugnut talk to you about breakdowns. Those mostly happened on older skis, I haven't seen anyone breakdown in the last 3 years.

I've had 5 breakdowns on the Tour, 2 on the 95XP, 3 with the 00RX. The XP suffered a stripped drive shaft, and sheared exhaust pipe bolts. The RX also had a stripped shaft, an ignition pick-up shear, and a shorted magneto. XP never finished a Tour, the RX was 3 and 3, and so far, the 08GTI has made 4 for 4. Other breakdowns I can think of are broken pumps, hoses coming loose and flooding the engine, oil line failures. We are pretty hard on the machines and ourselves, these last few years most of the breakdowns are the riders and not the machines!

+1
    Cool, thanks for the info. I have an 04 RXP and it would be a blast. I might wait until next year. Too much work and short notice to break away this year.

I've been unable to post anything about your question, oh well.

+1
    Safe riding to all. Hope to see some awesome photos and stories

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information