Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IControl & Issues Known for RXT™ iS 255

I currently have a 2006 RXT SC , dealt with rebuild of SC. Looking at replacing bad exhaust valves as a precautionary measure.

What I am contemplating is getting a 2009 RXT w/ 34 hours.

I plan on keeping the ski stock (my current RXT is also stock). My ski and this ski for sale are both only used in fresh water.

Are there any "known issues," with the Icontrol or the 2009 is 255?

Thanks-
    Frank

+1
    The drive shaft has a rubber coating that comes off and can run thru your pump.
    I had the 09 gtx I S 255 and loved it.
    I sold it at 160+ hrs and had very few issues.
    Only draw back to a I S ski is the fact of taking the upper deck loose or off for any major services.

I just picked one up used last month and I love it. I had to replace the VTS/IS switch on the handlebar. $92 for the part, but piece of cake to change out once I figured it out. All the dealers have great parts lookups.

The only thing that perplexes me about the damn thing is cleaning under the moving deck. After I ride, I wash it and even when I tilt it back on the trailer, water remains under there, so I snake a microfiber towel under there with a coat hanger and soak up the water, squeeze the towel out and repeat. There is also a little scum buildup under there that I couldn't reach that I plan to pressure wash out. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it can also be reached from under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    The drive shaft has a rubber coating that comes off and can run thru your pump.
    I had the 09 gtx I S 255 and loved it.
    I sold it at 160+ hrs and had very few issues.
    Only draw back to a I S ski is the fact of taking the upper deck loose or off for any major services.
    I just want to stay clear of the preventative maintenance that came with the 2006 RXT. Rebuilding SC & Replacing bad valves is not fun - nor easy on the wallet.

You placed a 160+ hours & did not have issue with the drive shaft. What can I do to check for a bad rubber coating? How hard is it to replace?

For point of reference - Is getting the deck off worse / more work than replacing the SC on the 2006?

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by cjhoward View Post
    I just picked one up used last month and I love it. I had to replace the VTS/IS switch on the handlebar. $92 for the part, but piece of cake to change out once I figured it out. All the dealers have great parts lookups.

The only thing that perplexes me about the damn thing is cleaning under the moving deck. After I ride, I wash it and even when I tilt it back on the trailer, water remains under there, so I snake a microfiber towel under there with a coat hanger and soak up the water, squeeze the towel out and repeat. There is also a little scum buildup under there that I couldn't reach that I plan to pressure wash out. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it can also be reached from under the seat.
    Cool - good to know about the cleaning under the moving deck.

If I do get the 2009 , I think a fair price is $7900 - does that sound about right or should I be buying it for less?

+1
    Known issues: a mile wide smile once you start accelerating and that's without mods.

Price sounds right, actually it seems low for 34h. They sell for $8k and up around here but that is before 'haggling' ndt ~160h but with re-built SC.
    Drive shaft rubber seal came off on mine at ~150h, no major damage just a bruised ego and idling back to the beach. Sounded like a sucked in 'sea-weed' but it wouldn't come out. Smelled like burned rubber later during the cleaning, the prop rubbed against the pieces. This was covered under extended warranty.

For cleaning, buy yourself a small (~2.5 Gallon) 'wet-vac' for $30 and you suck out the water under the deck. If you are smart you buy a vac that can function as a blower as well and you can blow dry, beats the micro-towel approach. Don't be tempted to buy a bigger shop vac, the nozzles won't fit between the raised deck and the floor.

Note: The blow drying works for all the other nooks and the hexagon section in the front as well.

That price is good. The closer to the water you are the higher the price it seems. I use a Stihl leaf blower from time to time to dry it out. Seems like the honeycombs around the nose will hold water forever if you don't dry that area. I can't see a small shop vac having enough volume to blow dry much.

+1
    I forgot something.
    I had to replace the rubber diaphragms that are connecting the from swing arm bars from the ski to the upper deck in the front.
    We had to take the upper deck off.
    They are large black diaphragms and in 09 models they are prone to cracking and allowing water to enter the hull when it gathers on the top deck.
    Hit the search function for more info there is a thread on it.

Yes these I S skis are amazing but they are a lot more difficult to maintain and fix when they break.
    A regular supercharged ski is much easier to maintain.

But 09 and newer doos are nearly bullet proof in the engine and chargers..

Can you please post a link to the discussion of the diaphragm? I can't find it. Seems like we have a great discussion by 4 owners of this unique ski here. It also seems like you want to make a list of all the work you want to do the next time the deck has to come off for service to get it all done at the same time. I'm tempted to put a hoist in my garage to be able to work on the thing myself.

Let me throw something else out here. When I bought the ski, the sellers gave me a brand new OEM bilge pump for my ski. When I spoke to my mechanic, he wasn't too keen on it since you have to drill a hole in the side of the ski for the outlet and he indicated no water should ever be in the bilge anyway. This all made sense to me; seems like you might be creating a problem with putting the hole in the side of the ski since unlike a boat, there is almost no freeboard on a ski. Thoughts?

+1
    A Bilge is a very good idea for any ski.

The hole you cut out doesn't allow water to come in.
    I've had a carbon seal failure on a different doo and my ski sank quick.

Especially on a I S ski I'd suggest putting a Bilge.
    If your mechanic didn't think its a good idea I'd switch mechanics.
    Most do suggest the added protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information