Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

12X Turbo Questions

Hi Guys

So after a bit of pondering I decided to take of the turbo to get this whole waste gate issue sorted out I donít like the extra spring idea. On inspection of the turbo I noticed that I have a chip on one of the blades of the compressor wheel. So first of all the actuator seems to be perfectly fine not sticking at all, but the waste gate itself is very stiff and takes quite a bit of force to open and close it.
    1: Should it be like that or should there be no resistance to open or close it?

2: Can the stock turbo maintain 19psi at 6500 rpm?

3: The second issue, the compressor wheel. Does someone have a part number for the compressor wheel?

4: Should I go with a stock compressor wheel? Then again I can always get a bigger compressor wheel; Iíve done it with my VW PD engine with great success using the stock GT17 turbo they machine the compressor housing to fit a GT20 compressor wheel, creating a hybrid turbo. A little bit more lag but with a remap allot more power! Not that I have just power in mind but Iím also thinking that the turbo doesn't have to spin so fast to make between 16 and 18 psi especially where I live in Pretoria is 4500ft above sea level.

5: Have anyone ever tried a bigger compressor wheel with the turbo of a 12X?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    1: Yes the actuator is stiff but a good one will be able to be operated by hand
    2: Yes, but the compressor air will be hot due to compressor off the map
    3: No, no parts for that IHI turbo......been down that road many times
    4: Contact H20 extreme in Tampa FLA they have replacment CHRA and modified stuff
    5: No, can't be done, Nitroshark has fitted a whole bigger CHRA to the 12X the first to do it

Hold up, I posted somewhere on here not long ago a company that CAN do a replacement cartridge and it wasn't too badly priced.
    I can't post the link but check out mic_turbo on ebay. Buy one and then let me know! it is supposed to be better than original also, although they claim it fits the standard housings and all pipework is the same US$780 on their website, billet compressor wheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turb.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	467.2 KB 
ID:	303693  

By the way, how did your turbo sound with a chip out of the wheel? Must have been vibrating badly. Care to post a photo?

+1
    I wish i knew.

Here is a pic of the compressor wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130614_083425.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	303694

Is there any specific reason why you can’t fit a bigger wheel?

No reason, you just need to machine your housing to suit

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    that little IHI turbo is not serviceable or rebuildable.......been down this road many many times

+1
    Just came from the turbo repair shop. Brand new exactly the same compressor wheel is $60. I went with a bigger compressor wheel. The wheel, balancing and the machining of the compressor housing is $150. They guy at the repair shop say they can rebuild the turbo for $400 with brand new core turbine and compressor wheel. The only thing they use is your old turbine housing but only thing is the core they replace it with is a journal bearing core and not ball bearing.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnd View Post
    By the way, how did your turbo sound with a chip out of the wheel? Must have been vibrating badly. Care to post a photo?
    Sorry Quinnd I misread your post. It sounded normal and was still able to boost 1.1bar

+1
    i am in the snowmobile industry and on my artic cat i have a ihi turbo that as be upgraded whit a bigger wheel and hosing on the intake side . go see some pic on turbine thech web site. also d&d racing put a bigger wheel in the stock ihi hosing . my turbine thech upgrade was 799$ plus tax and shipping canadien parts /work / balancing
    Last edited by cisco; 06-14-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information