unoriginal and from the south texas poser's Avatar

Poor Handling: Does like to turn left

Finally starting to revisit an old issue I have.
    I've got a 2003 FX140 that doesn't like to turn left. It'll turn on a dime to the right, but the left, not so much. At high speeds it practically won't even turn left.

Background info, when I got the ski, much of the pump was missing. THe previous owner let it sit after riding in salt water and the impeller seized up. TOok it to a shop and they removed a bunch of stuff and the PO declined the repairs do to cost and a few years later I get it and get it back in running order. When I installed the pump, I'm pretty sure I got everything to line back up correctly, and best I can tell when the bars are straight, the jet nozzle is centered.
    Also, when trying to remove the "eye-bolt" thing that attaches the cable to the nozzle, it broke so I had to drill it out, and my new hole is actually a little closer in than the old hole. I figured it wold just aid in handling, but could this actually be causing my issue?
    I actually started a thread about this 2 years ago (http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=slow+turning), but the day after the last post I was in a motorcycle crash that put me a wheelchair for a few months, and then due to life and work I didn't ride it at all last year. So after two years I'm finally trying to sort this out.

Any thoughts on what else would cause it to not turn left?

bueller....bueller....
    anybody?

+1
    its gonna be hard to diagnose with out more info/pics...

bring it by and im sure I can help you out

Will the handlebar go all the way when turned to left? If not I would open up the handle bar protector (not correct name) to see if the cable from trim that has a plastic protection cylinder on it has ended up on the wrong side of the steering house..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by texas poser View Post
    Also, when trying to remove the "eye-bolt" thing that attaches the cable to the nozzle, it broke so I had to drill it out, and my new hole is actually a little closer in than the old hole. I figured it wold just aid in handling, but could this actually be causing my issue?
    Just a quick thought, but I'd be thinking this is the cause. Not at all familiar with the engineering of the steering, but if the other end (beneath handlebars?) is attached to any kind of rotating arm or cam, and after repositioning the other hole you've had to adjust the fitting, it may be that the arm or cam is now in a position making the cable not come off at 90 deg to line drawn from attachment to pivot. This would then cause an uneven amount of "push-pull" in different directions. Maybe get someone to move the handlebars while you look at the nozzle, see if it is moving the same amount each way...

Just a caution that may not be relevant... On both of my new FX's I adjusted the fitting due to slight cable stretch/compression after about 15 hrs, just to keep the handlebars dead central when tracking straight. The bars were sitting a bit left, so to correct that I had to unscrew the fitting - from the factory there about ten or twelve turns taken up, fortunately I only had to unwind a few turns to get the nozzle straight. Always be cautious and leave enough threads engaged on screw fittings so as to retain strength in extreme cases...

chrs jc
    Last edited by zone5; 06-19-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Yeah, whatever...

good thoughts!
    unfortunately I haven't ha much time to mess with it, and work will have me out of town all next week (summer camp!), but I'll mess with it a litle today or tomorrow and try to get it in the water soon.
    thanks, a

Thread Information