Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which ECU?

+1

Which ECU?

I am looking at the possibility of an upgraded ECU to take things to the next level and am looking for some real world opinions on the options. I currently have an R3 reflash and an ET 15.5 wheel. With all pertinant things included (including price, ease of use, future upgradibility, support network, etc) which ECU would you recommend: ViPEC or newest version of Athena. The Motec is simply out of the range of what I currently want to spend. I would appreciate all input!

Everyone loves Vipec

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmfmk3 View Post
    Everyone loves Vipec
    Yes but WHY? What makes the ViPEC better?

Athena program is difficult from what I've read up.

+1
    Vipec by far. So many more capabilities and its way easier to use.

6. +1 by:

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    You can use the Vipec on a plane,trane,car,boat,john deere, space ship.......Athena is nice unit....but can only be used on Yamaha and resale on the unit will be less than the Vipec because the Athena will be a specialty item only someone with a Yamaha Sho can use.......You can sell a Vipec to anyone with a project

8. +1 by:

dont know about now but several people here in miami damaged there engines with the first releases of the athena.if i remember right afr were close but the timing maps were aggressive hence why people were getting speed increases over a reflashes at the time.i personally feel the reflash is more than suitable up to a et18 unless your planning on a big charger or turbo i couldnt justify investing in a standalone.some have a really long cranking time and have problems locking tunes etc.however if your dead set on it and motec is out of the question the vipec looks promising.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    I am looking at the possibility of an upgraded ECU to take things to the next level and am looking for some real world opinions on the options. I currently have an R3 reflash and an ET 15.5 wheel. With all pertinant things included (including price, ease of use, future upgradibility, support network, etc) which ECU would you recommend: ViPEC or newest version of Athena. The Motec is simply out of the range of what I currently want to spend. I would appreciate all input!
    I would stay with the R3 platform. It works.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hdlefler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    I would stay with the R3 platform. It works.
    Good advise

R3 works great but you can't fine tune it. Any good tunable ECU would always be better. You can tune for smooth continuos power in your powerband.

It's like comparing a reflashed car vs. a dyno tuned car. Every car or every ski performs different due to mods, climate, sea level, humidity etc etc. With a re flashed ECU its pretty much the same tune across the board for everyone. Yes it works, but you won't see the full potential unlocked.

14. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information