Florida Scallops

My girl and I are headed to Navarre FLA in August for a week and of course the SUV is coming with us along with all my fishing gear. The plan is (for me) to make dinner most nights which will consist of fresh fish from the GOM. In addition to, I would very much like to add some fresh scallops into the mix. Does anyone here have any experience with catching these delicious mollusk?

Wish you werent going so far west that's a long ride from Jacksonville. I would bring my LRV. Only ski that's actually bigger than the SUV. If you can free dive pretty decently getting scallops isn't hard.

That is terrible news! Looks like I am about 120 miles too far west. Oh well, thanks for the link Capndik

+1
    Do you go there often? I'm moving to port st joe this fall and I want to catch them. I'm planning on September but could be sooner. If your around I'm looking for some one to go with.

We will be in Navarre Beach for the week so if you want to come join me for some jetski fishing you are more than welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsniper View Post
    Do you go there often?
    Def dont go enough...once a year

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Clean SUV View Post
    My girl and I are headed to Navarre FLA in August for a week and of course the SUV is coming with us along with all my fishing gear. The plan is (for me) to make dinner most nights which will consist of fresh fish from the GOM. In addition to, I would very much like to add some fresh scallops into the mix. Does anyone here have any experience with catching these delicious mollusk?
    Not a lot of experience, but we did go for scallops many years ago and it was pretty fun. We went to the west coast of Florida I think it was near Homosassa River or Crystal River; they have grass beds just offshore and finding them was no problem, it was pretty easy to gather up a mess of them using a mask and snorkel. I think we ended up with about 200 lbs all together.

The only problem was, after cleaning them you only get a tiny piece of meat, so for me I would say it really isn't worth the trouble unless you can manage to find some really big ones. There is a season per Florida law; I think it's July – Sept; so make sure you follow the rules and regs to avoid getting busted. Here's some more info...

http://scallophunter.com/about-scallops/how-to-catch/

Thread Information