Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    dpracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,244
    +1
    246

    Help! Did thermostat mod and tabs broke off.........

    The piece that slips into the housing, now there is nothing to grab onto when you clamp it. I guess I didn't get it hot enough? I used a heat gun. What should I do now. Pulling this housing off the PX 260 seems difficult, the bolts are totally hidden. Where do I go from here?


  2. #2
    83.0 @ 8400 jhill19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Teays Valley, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,800
    +1
    81
    Jb weld it all back together be liberal with it

  3. #3
    dpracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,244
    +1
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill19 View Post
    Jb weld it all back together be liberal with it
    Thanks for the quick reply, without the tabs, there is really nothing to put pressure on the o ring to seal it up. Or will the jb
    Seal it up? Do I need to pull the housing?. What are your thoughts. Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Water4fire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Braunfels TX.
    Posts
    10,061
    +1
    790
    Sheet metal screws work very well.

  5. #5
    CHAD IBADTON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    on lake Harding AL
    Posts
    558
    +1
    34
    I have whole housing will sell you $50

  6. #6
    dpracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,244
    +1
    246
    Guys, I made a mistake, upon closer inspection the tabs didn't break off they just seemed like they did. I reassembled it, it popped into place with the o ring and t stat in place I clamped it and it ain't budgin'!
    Topped off the coolant, ran the motor a few times on the hose 2 min at a time to burp it. Everything seems fine. Gonna test tomorrow and see if it holds lol. Thanks again.

  7. #7
    ADAMBOMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sunrise,Florida
    Posts
    4,723
    +1
    196
    For security, put a hose clamp around where the tabs are and tighten it down.

  8. #8
    Fastest in my cove sfackett0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sparrows Point, MD (near the Key Bridge)
    Posts
    1,000
    +1
    22
    I epoxied the housing back together and used STAINLESS sheet metal screws, 6 in total. I wish I could remember the length but they have to be short, you dont want them to dig in to the neck. Also pre-drill the holes so the plastic doesnt crack. Been going strong for 3-4 years now. If you need a pic i can try to get one.

  9. #9
    dpracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,244
    +1
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post
    The piece that slips into the housing, now there is nothing to grab onto when you clamp it. I guess I didn't get it hot enough? I used a heat gun. What should I do now. Pulling this housing off the PX 260 seems difficult, the bolts are totally hidden. Where do I go from here?
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    I epoxied the housing back together and used STAINLESS sheet metal screws, 6 in total. I wish I could remember the length but they have to be short, you dont want them to dig in to the neck. Also pre-drill the holes so the plastic doesnt crack. Been going strong for 3-4 years now. If you need a pic i can try to get one.
    Thanks guys, I did clamp that mother down and it ain't moving. Gonna beat the shit out of tomorrow and try to make it pop. I'm confident it won't.

    FYI, when I pulled it apart, it was scary how easy it came off. Only hit it with a heat gun for 30 seconds and I ripped it off with my hand! Lol
    I used a 18-3555 t stat from napa. It said mercruiser 160 deg on the bag.

  10. #10
    dpracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,244
    +1
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    For security, put a hose clamp around where the tabs are and tighten it down.
    Thanks Adam that's exactly what I did!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trim tab broke off 1998 gp1200
    By Laplataninja in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2016, 08:38 PM
  2. Broke off spark plug and easy out in my RXPX 255...HELP!!!
    By Renzo778 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 10:19 PM
  3. 2008 RXPX ECU help with current mods and motor
    By Fasterseadoo in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
  4. Help, did thermostat mod and the tabs broke off...........
    By dpracing in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 05:04 PM
  5. Help! Pulse line and fuel shut off ??????
    By lodough780 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •