Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 slt 750 struggles to turn over

Hello all, new here. Picked up a 95 slt 750 today. Long story short. I blew compressed air into all the cylinders and got tons of water out of them. The engine turns over fine with the plugs out but as soon as I put them back in it struggles to turn over and by struggle I mean almost zero turn over it sounds like its trying for 2 seconds then nothing until I hit the start button again. I haven't done a compression test but can feel that they all have at least enough pressure to suck my finger down. Plugs and wires are all new. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

How long was the water sitting inside the engine?

When did this engine last run properly?

When the engine cranks with spark plugs out, does water still spray out the plug holes?

I'm sure for a while. Couldn't tell you when it last ran. I believe it may still a small amount in there. With the plugs out when it's turning over nothing comes out. I used the air compressor at work which is the strongest pressure I've ever encountered. Strong enough to push the pistons up and down continuously as if it was running. I did this until water stopped shooting water out but in 10 second intervals. I'm gonna pull the heads tomorrow. Just trying to get some insight on the situation.

+1
    Where and how did you connect this large air compressor?

If the water was sitting inside the engine for more than a few hours or days then it seems likely that the steel crank shaft bearings will have started rusting. Once these bearings have rust, they will not last very long at 6000 RPM, if the engine even holds together.

If this was my engine I would simply tear it apart and plan for a complete rebuild.

I used a blower with a rubber fitting on the end that made for a good seal. I put it in the hole where the spark plugs thread in and went to town. I'm sure it needs a top end job but what would cause it to act as it does?

What should I expect a full rebuild to run $ wise. I was basically given this thing so I won't be upset to junk it. I could get back more than I have in it by saleing the trailer alone. Is it worth the repairs? I'd only be fixing it to sale it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves2629 View Post
    I used a blower with a rubber fitting on the end that made for a good seal. I put it in the hole where the spark plugs thread in and went to town.

I'm sure it needs a top end job but what would cause it to act as it does?
    So you pressurized the entire engine?

Somehow I would be surprised if that got all the water out.

+1
    What should I expect a full rebuild to run $ wise. I was basically given this thing so I won't be upset to junk it. I could get back more than I have in it by saleing the trailer alone. Is it worth the repairs? I'd only be fixing it to sale it.
    You can find out what similar machines are selling for in your area, wherever you are.

When I did it the first time it shot water out of the drive but just briefly afterwards it only came out of the other cylinders. I guess you can say I pressurized it but it was never sealed while doing so I had all 3 plugs out from the get go. Any idea what kind of $ we're talking about here. I was thinking it was prob just a top end and bendix. Guess not

+1
    When I did it the first time it shot water out of the drive but just briefly afterwards it only came out of the other cylinders. I guess you can say I pressurized it but it was never sealed while doing so I had all 3 plugs out from the get go. Any idea what kind of $ we're talking about here. I was thinking it was prob just a top end and bendix. Guess not
    If the entire engine needs to be rebuilt, which is my expectation, then you can look at the SBT price for a complete rebuilt engine. You send in your old engine as a core, and they send you a ready to bolt in fully rebuilt engine.

The SBT engine will have slightly different internal specs than OEM but certainly serviceable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information