+1

Exclamation has anyone driven a double karavan with bearing axles long distances with no issues?

Planning trip to drags in august and really
    Don't want to change trailer to torsion axles
    If I don't have too.

Just don't know if I trust these bearings to hold up any input guys?

+1

+1
    I have Steve. Just make sure you inspect and service it before you leave and I always carry extra bearings. For a long trip I suggest picking up an extra hub and bearings for an easy swap if you were to have an issue.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I have with my load rite, as its been said before make sure you service the bearings! Also make sure the trailer is in good working order and bring a spare set/hub/tire and you will be fine!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you thinking that leaf spring axles have different wheel bearings than standard torsion axles?

Inspect the date codes on your trailer tires. If the tires are older than 6-7 years then they are well aged and replacement is worthwhile, especially if you want peace of mind. Trailer tires typically die from old age rather than wearing out the tread.

+1 on carrying a spare wheel bearing kit. And the tools and jack needed to change the bearing at roadside. I carry a D shaped trailer jack which works well and is compact to store.

Inspect everything on the trailer. Every nut and bolt, coupler underneath, etc. make sure the coupler tension nut is set to the proper tension/clearance.

+1
    Thanks guys will do!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    How far from the ramp do you travel on average? if its a 10-20 mile distance when you stop check the hubs as soon as you stop and see how hot or cool they are, that will typical tell you the health of your bearings....Ive pulled them for 14 hours several times with no problems...

+1
    You should be ok,I did many 500 miles round trips to lake with caravan trailers.Re-pack bearings,check bolts,take spare wheel and you good to go.

+1
    We took my friend's Loadrite double trailer from Albany, New York to Myrtle Beach, SC in March and one bearing blew out along the way. It wasn't bad enough to need service before we got back. My friends who met us there took my 2006 Karavan double trailer from 40 miles north of Albany, New York to West Palm Beach, FL and then up to meet us in Myrtle Beach, SC. They had no issues at all. We never checked any bearings before the trip. Call it what you want, but it's always good to have wheel bearing kit and spare tire just in case. You should be fine but you never know.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    my travel tips...

bearing check...pull over after 45 minutes of cruising ..spray water on the hubs..if it boils off..oh-no!

+10 on a spare (or two), a hub with bearings installed for a quick swap..and a special trailer tool bag wit the stuff you need + a container of hand cleaner and a roll of paper towels.

road flares

oh yeah..one last thing..check the speed/load ratings on your tires..lots of trailer tires aren't rated for 70mph+ and a couple of 4-tecs can weigh in at 1500 wet. Leave the fuel tanks empty if possible.

buy 13/14's if they will fit your tailer..you can find complete wheel assemblies w/tires at walmart in most markets

Oh yeah..don't neglect the towing rigs hitch and rear tires also.

change hitch ball lately?

top up radiator in tow vehicle and have a spare fan belt with you ( along with needed tools)

nothing worse then having to leave your skis on the side of the road.

hitch lock in case you do.

Thread Information