Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 RXT supercharger noise

My 2005 rxt died while running perfectly fine. When i tried to restart it had a weird grinding noise from the supercharger so i stopped till i got the ski home for further investigation. I was thinking it was the starter and in the process of ruling that out somehow the ecm fried. After the dealer determined that was the problem and replaced the ecm they tried starting the ski. They heard the grinding noise and told me it was the bearing in the supercharger. The supercharger had already had the washed replaced with metal ones at 100 hrs, currently 118 hrs. I pulled the sc and sure enough the outer bearing (closest to the gear) was shot. The cage and all 7 balls were still in the sc. The inner bearing is ok but a little rough. I purchased a new kit which included a new shaft, bearings, oil seal, metal washers, spring washers. ect... After rebuilding the sc it was smooth as butter. Once i installed it on the ski and started it it sounded terrible. My question is if the failed bearing could have caused damage to the flywheel/double gear, or maybe the noise is from elsewhere, pump bearing? I tourqued everything to speck during rebuild, and check slip once on the ski. The slip was a little high about 134 lb/in. Follwed the directions to a T.

Also this may sound dumb but, where is the oil level supposed to be inside the PTO housing.

It is also clear that the impeller had rubbed the scer housing from some spots ton the impeller and housing. Would being out of balance make the charger continue to rub and cause problems?

+1
    The touching down (rubbing) may have caused an imbalance, and it shouldn't continue to rub unless some serious damage was done.
    If the charger spun freely after new bearings and wasn't rubbing, it should be rubbing once installed.
    There maaaay be internal damage... I sincerely hope not.
    Remove the intercooler and check for aluminum dust from the sc rubbing the housing. If ic has aluminum dust, I'd stick a flashlight and mirror through the throttle body to check for dust too.
    Good luck!

Ill check the ic, there are some pretty notable spots from it touching down. after installed you can definatly tell it is matching up to the gears cause it no longer spins. I just wonder if it could be the pump bearing or something of that nature.

What would i need to do about the aluminum dust issue.

+1
    Pull the pump off and start it to see if the noise is coming from there. That would eliminate that from the equation

+1
    I've seen a 06 rxp that died suddenly on the water.
    His s/c bearings failed.
    He had to replace the charger because the cases were trashed and his flywheel had broken a few teeth from the sudden shutdown.
    He also had grey dust all the way into his air intake.
    Sounds very similar to your issues.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    considering the wheel turns better then 40k rpm..if it touched down due to a bearing problems. it's a paperweight.

Even if the wheel is marginally dinged from touchdown it's not a good idea to run with it.
    _IF_ you continue, if the wheel is badly dinged, those new bearing aren't going to last long.

Who needs that?

Get a used wheel or upgrade!

+1 on getting the fairy dust out of the way..maybe an oil change too...

thanks for all the help i bought a slightly used stock scer so ill try that when it gets to me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kdmart View Post
    thanks for all the help i bought a slightly used stock scer so ill try that when it gets to me.
    Been there ...only my rear bearing let go...( 12 hours after total rebuild by a Seadoo Dealer)... bearings remained in inside S\C. Aluminum dust everywhere from touchdown..(Impeller wheel in contact with outer casing of S/C)..Took all intake hoses off and cleaned totally (dust).After buying a new S/C from Jerry ..changed oil 3 times to clean out the aluminum dust......Final oil change with new filter......Running like a Champ! (Happened 2 years ago.......)

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information