Thread: Xl760 help

Xl760 help

Hey everyone i just bought my first ski a 1999 xl760. It ran fine both when i tested it with the guy i bought it from and when i went out my self a week later. How ever last time i went out i ran into some problems.

One problem is my battery wont stay charged. By that i mean when its on land and i keep the battery terminals connected the battery gets drained in a couple days. So i have just been unscrewing one of the terminals so it stays charged. Any ideas to how i could fix this? I was thinking about getting a Perko 9601DP Mairine Battery Disconnect Switch but that is the same as disconnecting the battery, which is something i am trying to avoid because it resets my clock and stuff on dash and locks the ski.

The next problem i started having was last time i took the ski out it wouldnt go. I would try to accelerate and it would get up to around 30mph and then drop down to like 6mph and just stall out. It did that for about 10 - 15 minuets then it started working normally again. However by the end of the trip it did the same thing except this time the problem did not correct it self.

Any help or advice would be great.
    Last edited by Shreedamin; 06-14-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Ok, so i bought my first jet ski a xl760 a couple weeks ago. It was running and working fine up until my last outing. Except for this one battery issue i have been having since i bought the ski. So my two problems:

The battery issue i am having is that my battery wont stay charged, like every time i try to use the ski i have to put the battery on the charger let it charge and then the ski would turn over. So my initial thought was that the jet ski even when it was off was drawing power from the battery so i tried leaving the + disconnected and i still have the same problem. So i am assuming the ski isn't drawing power anymore, but i have no idea what it could be, the battery is less than a month old and according to the load test done at the shop its fine. I did check the voltage my self at home and it was at like a 12.6 isn't it supposed be like around 15. ( and how i checked it was i fully charged the battery, hooked it up to the ski, turned the ski over, disconnected the positive, let it sit for 3-4 days and then tried to turn the ski over again except this time no success so i check the voltage and its around 12.6).

What do you guys think?

The second issue is my jet ski was running great until last time i took it out. When it was having a lot of trouble. The spark plugs were flooded so i replaced them, and the ski fired up almost instantaneously. Then when i got out onto the water the ski wouldnt go. I would give it throttle and it would get up to about 30mph and then it would just stop going, and slow down to like 6mph and stall. it did that for like 5-10mins after which the ski started working like normal again. Then probably like 1.5hrs later it started doing the same thing except this time the problem did not resolve it self. i even turned the ski off and just sat for about an hour but nothing.

any thoughts or comments?

Thanks, any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Also i am running 50:1 premix if that matters for anything.

+1
    As far as the battery it sounds like a bad battery. i have had battery's that would charge up and crank the ski all day but let it sit for a few days and it would be almost dead. It sounds like one of those junk Walmart battery's that they only give you a 30 day warranty on.

As far as the erratic running that problem sounds like a carb issue or bad fuel. and i like 40-1 ratio on premix.

+1
    and check the compression

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    As far as the battery it sounds like a bad battery. i have had battery's that would charge up and crank the ski all day but let it sit for a few days and it would be almost dead. It sounds like one of those junk Walmart battery's that they only give you a 30 day warranty on.

As far as the erratic running that problem sounds like a carb issue or bad fuel. and i like 40-1 ratio on premix.
    The batterys from batterys plus, i have a 2 year warranty on it, i actually just got it back today they did some kind of heavy test on it where they "beat the hell out of it for 48 hrs" everything came back normal, but the guy said if i kept having issues to bring it back. So idk....

Also i was thinking the carbs may need to be rebuilt but i thought i try something else first. So i did some messing around with the fuel lines. I run non ethanol based gas and im pretty sure the guy who i bought it from did also. I know for a fact the gas if fresh also. I do have a primer bulb but i noticed it wasnt doing anthing so i shortened the fuel lines and now the bulbs actually working. I think that maybe the carbs were not getting enough fuel. I have also by passed the fuel selector swtich so now its just gas tank to carbs pretty much.

Im about to drop it in the water and actually test it out in about an hour, see if anything changed. Ill let you guys know what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    and check the compression
    That is my next test to do if it it continued to act up. Any ideas on how much i should be paying for one of those?

Thanks for all the help guys. Ill let you know how it goes. Wish me luck

+1
    For the battery problem. I trust Batteries Plus testing your battery. The ones around here, they seem to know what they are doing. So if its not the battery, start following the red and black battery cables. Check them for bad spots, corrosion, loose connections, or bad connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    For the battery problem. I trust Batteries Plus testing your battery. The ones around here, they seem to know what they are doing. So if its not the battery, start following the red and black battery cables. Check them for bad spots, corrosion, loose connections, or bad connections.
    Yeah they are reputable in the battery department. I am gonna leave it hooked up for a couple days and see if the voltage drops, and if it does ill follow the wires check the starter ect.

Oh as for the other problem the ski was doing the same thing on the water. When I first start it and give it throttle it takes off with no issue. But then as soon as I let off the throttle and try to accelerate again it doesn't wanna go. I'm gonna call up a mechanic tomorrow.

ok, so my jet ski repair guy looked at my jet ski and said that the compression test was good. But the carbs needed to be reubuilt and rerun all fuel lines through valve and replace some fuel lines. He is saying $170 for parts and $210 for labor. I got him to come down to $300 does that sound fair. I mean if hes just doing a carb rebuild and some fuel lines the parts should not be $170 ive rebuilt motorcycles and so i know the cost of parts it should be around the $100-$110 range, correct me if im wrong. especially cause he isnt replacing all the fuel lines, just the ones that are missing cause i had by-passed the fuel switch and hes hooking that back up. in all less than 25 ft of new fuel line will probably be used. The old ones are in really good shape.

Is this something that you guys would pay?
    or should i take it to another guy, i feel like im getting ripped off, because im a kid.

+1
    Its not completely out of the ball park at $170. The GOOD genuine Mikuni carb kits (we recommend ONLY using the Mikuni kits) for this ski are $50 to $65 for each kit. You have 2 carbs so there's $100 to $130 for the carb rebuild kits. There's also separate gaskets for mounting the carbs to the carb rack and to the intake. If it needs Needle/Seats that another $30 each carb. Fuel line costs vary depending on whether you get OEM lines, some whatever brand marine lines, or automotive grade fuel lines.

Thread Information