Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Where to put in on the delaware river?

Where can I put in on the delaware river closer to trenton? PA/NJ side, doesnt matter. shore is just to cold to ride in and we dont have wetsuits, would like to get out this weekend and i wanna give the delaware river a try. I want to stay away from the philly area of the river because of all the debris, did it last year and will never do it again there.

+1
    When my coworker and I worked in Trenton we rode the Deley after work, and we launched at the Trenton Waterfront Park right off Rt 29, 1595 Lamberton Rd

We were planning on going down to Philly, until Mother Nature decided otherwise

+1
    Not familiar w/your riding area, but I do have some Delaware R. beta here: http://pwctrailfinder.com/NewJerseyPWCTrailRides.html

+1
    As two__coupe said -Trenton Waterfront Park, $10 if the Trenton Park Police are there, not very well kept, sometimes funky locals. Trenton mayor was indicted last year for pocketing boat ramp pass money!

A little further down is Bordentown Beach, $ 10 and a whole lot nicer plus a quaint old riverfront town. You can hang out there and there is a sandbar in the river at low tide where everybody hangs out.

And a little more further down is Florence Twp., also nice but $20.

Why don't you like Philly? I also like launching from Linden Ave and doing the Rancocas plus cruising down to the battleship. Never had a problem with debris. Once I went from Linden Ave all the way to the Commodore Barry, 60 miles round trip and never any debris.

The only place I did not like was West Deptford (when my daughter was going to Rowan), sucked up a lot of eel grass at low tide.
    Last edited by CJ River Rider; 06-14-2013 at 09:24 PM.

+1
    Also, I've riden the Deley twice so far, and both times have been suppperrr calm and flat. Once from trenton, and once up by me right off Rt80 near Stroudsburg. I really like the Deley.

+1
    Not always flat on the tidal Delaware, north wind 2 weeks ago and I got hammered. How far can you ride around the gap? Isn't it too shallow and rocky?

+1
    We rode with a buddy who lived ON the gap so he pretty much knew the gap like the back of his hand. Knew exactly where to steer around when tide got pretty low (which wasn't a problem when we went), but IDK how comfortable I'd be w/o him around there at low tide.

+1
    Gotcha on the gap, however there is no 'tide' up there. The Delaware is only tidal to Trenton or slightly beyond. The height and depth of the river is dependent on water flow from rain, run-off, or what they are releasing from the reservoirs upriver in NYS. I used to do my first seasonal run at Bulls Island and if it was a wet winter/spring, you could ride thru the rocky section just north of the walk bridge and thru the wing dam up past the Bryam ramp. You can't do that if it's been dry a lot and the river is running low. Some guys (I think stand-up) can ride from BI to Frenchtown but only under the right conditions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ River Rider View Post
    As two__coupe said -Trenton Waterfront Park, $10 if the Trenton Park Police are there, not very well kept, sometimes funky locals. Trenton mayor was indicted last year for pocketing boat ramp pass money!

A little further down is Bordentown Beach, $ 10 and a whole lot nicer plus a quaint old riverfront town. You can hang out there and there is a sandbar in the river at low tide where everybody hangs out.

And a little more further down is Florence Twp., also nice but $20.

Why don't you like Philly? I also like launching from Linden Ave and doing the Rancocas plus cruising down to the battleship. Never had a problem with debris. Once I went from Linden Ave all the way to the Commodore Barry, 60 miles round trip and never any debris.

The only place I did not like was West Deptford (when my daughter was going to Rowan), sucked up a lot of eel grass at low tide.
    Perfect, i think im going to try bordentown beach, is it rocky in that area?

Last year when i tried the delaware i put in at west deptford and within 2 minutes i sucked up a rope of some kind, paddled back to the ramp cleared it and went back out again, suck up eel grass and couldnt go over 6mph, was able to clear on the water and rode for another 15 minutes before i sucked up another rope and had to have it towed back to the ramp because i was too far away from the ramp, went out in october too when there wasnt alot of traffic. Cant imagine how bad its got to be when its the summer and traffic.

Thanks guys, your awesome!!

+1
    Beach area is rocky, so if you don't want to scratch the bottom, have somebody hold the ski or tie it to the dock. Other than that, no issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information