1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX - is it normal to have this much white smoke?

I just got my first jet ski - a '97 kawasaki 1100 stx. It runs great but produces what appears to me to be an excessive amount of white smoke. I don't have much background to know if this is normal or not? What do you folks think?

If it is a bit excessive what are the most likely causes/fixes?

Here are a couple of videos to show you what I mean

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, if it's been in storage for a while. Go ride it and see if most of it goes away. You really shouldn't see much smoke at high speed, but it will smoke a little at idle.

Since it's an older boat, I'd recommend that you carefully inspect/replace the hoses for the oil injection system. The original hose gets brittle with age and can crack. Use polyurethane hose.

I have also found that using better oil and not that cheap stuff helps with the smoke. It seems like the cheaper the oil the more it smokes and burns up quicker. Mine only smoke a little when you first start them then that disappears. I agree with Steve about checking and replacing hoses on older skis. It is a cheap fix that can save you a lot of money and headache later.

I have a 96 1100 ZXI that had been sitting for several years and when I first fired it up inside my garage I had to shut it off and just stand in one spot until the smoke cleared because I couldnt see anything. My neighbor was standing in front of his house laughing at me as the smoke billowed out of my garage. My STX DI does pretty much the same thing after it has sat for awhile. I think oil must slowly seep through the pump into the crankcase causing all the smoke because if I run it regularly it is fine.

Thread Information