two skis = two problems. 1990 650 lx. very frustrated please help

Just got done rebuilding the carb in each of these machines since I bought them not long ago and knew they had sat awhile. Just got back from running them in the river.

The first one ran great but did seem to be loading up on fuel while idling. I did test the pop off pressure while doing the rebuild and it is correct. Not sure if this is a needle adjustment or what. Starts to bog slightly while idling and when you gun the throttle it will accelerate decently but take off once it has "cleared its throat." Runs hard once it clears up and you can go full throttle to idle back to full throttle again without the issue if you do not let it idle too long

The second ski is more baffling to me and I want to make sure I am not missing anything trying to figure the issue out. (Back story) After I first got the ski I took it out and noticed it had some water in the hull but didn't think too much of it. While running it on the trailer one day after doing some basic maintance I noticed the hull filling with smoke. I found that the water box had blown open (is this a normal issue?). I removed the box and noticed that someone did an awful repair job w rtv sealant and about 3 rivets which all broke. Anyways, I fixed it with 5200 and about a dozen rivets (its rock solid now). Today when I took this ski out it ran great, but I found water in the hull again. This time I found the outer rubber exhaust tube on the elbow bend had blown out. I immedeately checked for any blockages or other issues with the exaust but found none. Once I got the ski home I removed the muffler to check it better and not only found that the outer tube blew open, but the inner tube had about an inch long tear in it as well. There appear to be no obstructions in the exhaust so I am miffed as to what would cause this.

This may be unrelated or related but I also noticed on the first ski that when I ran it on the trailer there were no issues with water, but on the second ski while running, water began pouring out of the nipple that the wash tube is normally attached to. Any idea why? And can someone explain to me the path of the water thru these tubes? The wash tube looks like it feeds into the exhaust manifold, so how in the world would the water work its way back to the top of the cylinder head and spray out of that nipple?

To anyone who takes the time to read this and respond thank you. I am just getting very frustrated

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    on a 23 year old engine..any number of things can be going wrong.

That's the plastic waterbox that was split?..has this engine backfired?

the Yamaha with the plastic muffler box is an accident waiting to happen if the ski is having fuel issues.

if it is the plastic one..close the hood when you crank the engine. NO STARTER FLUID

While your repair is solid, the integrity of the entire box is suspect

anyhow..loading up is a needle/seat or arm setting issue.

you replaced the needle/seat. did you eyeball the seat size during the install?

Want to check the reeds also ( sorry)

by "wash tube" do you mean the engine flush attachment point?

that should be self sealing unless the hose fitting is in place. cap it.(perhaps the cap is gone?)

<welcome to the Hulk>

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    on a 23 year old engine..any number of things can be going wrong.

That's the plastic waterbox that was split?..has this engine backfired?

the Yamaha with the plastic muffler box is an accident waiting to happen if the ski is having fuel issues.

if it is the plastic one..close the hood when you crank the engine. NO STARTER FLUID

While your repair is solid, the integrity of the entire box is suspect

anyhow..loading up is a needle/seat or arm setting issue.

you replaced the needle/seat. did you eyeball the seat size during the install?

Want to check the reeds also ( sorry)

by "wash tube" do you mean the engine flush attachment point?

that should be self sealing unless the hose fitting is in place. cap it.(perhaps the cap is gone?)

<welcome to the Hulk>
    thanks

yes I figured the plastic boxes would be structurally weak but for skis this age I didn't feel it was worth spending $$ to change them.

my main concern isn't really with the box, its with the rubber hoses blowing out. that's where I am at a loss.
    Last edited by bleedblue94; 06-17-2013 at 07:33 PM.

ok issue on first ski is resolved. i just had a brain fart setting the pulse needle. there was something on the threads and it didnt fully seat before i backed it out to set it.

back to the second ski:

is it at all normal for these exhaust boots to blow out?
    can someone explain to me the path of the water thru the wash tube when it is hooked to the garden hose?

im trying to determine if there is some kind of blockage (and where) that was forcing the water out the nipple at the top of the motor (ive never seen that happen on another ski usually it just circulates and flows out the rear of the ski regardless if its in the water or on the hose) and where i would be looking for such a thing.

maybe this is related to the exhaust tubes blowing out...

Thread Information