Performance of 2004 XL700

Hey all. Just moved back to IN from CA and are looking to spend about $8k on a couple older PWC. Previously, I had a couple 97 SPX's which were fast and fun, but nowadays, I have a 6yr old and 3yr old, and am looking for a more stable PWC for family cruising but still something fun to play around on.

I came across a pair of 2004 XL700's which appear to have very little use. I know there is no hour meter, but you can tell by looking at the units that they have not seen the water much. They have always been stored indoors in the winter.

The deal comes with a 2 place trailer and a 2 place aluminum lift. We have done some talking, and price wise I have the guy at $7200 for all of it.

Now I know from reading that the xl700 is not a performance machine but is reliable as all hell. But how bad is the performance? Are we talking good for cruising but not for cutting and playing at all? I am not expecting the performance I had with the SPX's, but I dont want to spend money on a complete dog either.

I am intrigued by the reputation and reliability of the engine, but dont want to make a purchase I immediately regret.

One of the units seems to idle a little rough, but I can't imagine it is anything big. The pair were owned by an elderly couple.

Would appreciate any guidance on the expectations of these PWC and your overall thoughts on the deal itself. I could post a pic or two if it helps.

Thanks

Chad

P.S. How does one go about finidng a PWC mechanic to go with me to look at the PWC? Do you contact a dealer and just offer to pay one of the mechanics on the side?

+1
    Chad, those were staples of many rental fleets back in their day. Big, stable 3-seaters, good on gas, 45 - 50 mph. Not playful like the SPX, and a bit large for wave jumping, but solid skis. Make sure to water test both a good 15 - 20 min. That should tell you most of what you'll need to know. Not a bad price for clean skis w/ trailer. Good luck !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cpferris View Post
    P.S. How does one go about finidng a PWC mechanic to go with me to look at the PWC? Do you contact a dealer and just offer to pay one of the mechanics on the side?
    Maybe post your general location and someone from this forum can come check them out with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpferris View Post
    Maybe post your general location and someone from this forum can come check them out with you.
    I am in the South Bend, IN area. The yamahas are in SW lower Michigan. I'd be glad to drive and offer fair compensation for time.

Chad

Thread Information