Thread: Oil Level?

Oil Level?

Alright guys i have an 06 Seadoo Sportster 215... same motor as all the other 4 tech 215hp motors.

Anyways i did an oil / filter change. I pulled out right at 3 liters of oil, and put right at that amount back in.

My question is the oil level itself. After it has sat for some time level, its WAY above the top of the dipstick mark, after following the manual and letting it run for a bit, then sit for 30 secs n check again i THINK its back down to the middle of the dipstick marks. Its hard to tell as the oil on the dipstick tube makes it hard for a perfect reading.

Does this sound right? IE, oil level way high cold before running, then back down in the middle after following the procedure for checking oil?

I just found it odd that it would go that way seems as how you crank the motor during the oil removal process to push oil presumably into the area where the dipstick goes... so i would think it would be the opposite of what im seeing, this is why im second guessing myself.

+1
    The oil pumps are on each end of the motor.
    When your ski sits the oil runs back into the base of the motor giving you that over full reading.
    Once its running and warmed the oil is in the pumps and brings it to its correct reading.

It's good your that up on your skis changes.

Now let her rip.....

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    The oil pumps are on each end of the motor.
    When your ski sits the oil runs back into the base of the motor giving you that over full reading.
    Once its running and warmed the oil is in the pumps and brings it to its correct reading.

It's good your that up on your skis changes.

Now let her rip.....

Ah ok, so thats normal then... i figured it might be the other way around due to the fact when pulling oil from the motor you crank it with fuel cut for a bit to push oil back into the area where the dipstick leads too, n not visa versa.

Thread Information