2012 RXTX Stage 1 - ran fine for a few hrs, then problems...

Buddy has a 2012 RXTX that we did the following mods:
    • 4" front air intake (however we had a problem with the supercharger inlet adapter and therefore had to run the stock elbow to the front of the blower and adapt the 4" Kanaflex to it. *this is only temporary until we can get a properly machined adapter)
    • homemade catch can
    • Solas 15/20R (SRZ)
    • Vtech 8375 tune
    Everything was running great with the ski despite not having the 4" Kanaflex going all the way to the supercharger. Ran the ski for a few hours and then something happened where it started being a bit sluggish out of the hole. There was also a strange vibration when taking off from idle. However in this condition, it still managed to top out at 71 gps. I asked how many rpm's but he didn't get that info... My initial thought is that something may have went through the prop and it could be a wear ring issue. Inspection on the trailer looked good as far as I could tell however. We put fresh plugs in it and tried again to no avail.

I am planning on pulling the pump/impeller to have a closer look. Any other suggestions? Am I starting in the right place?

+1
    I bet the pump bolts came loose. Check the pump then the prop and driveshaft splines

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedgta View Post
    • 4" front air intake (however we had a problem with the supercharger inlet adapter and therefore had to run the stock elbow to the front of the blower and adapt the 4" Kanaflex to it. *this is only temporary until we can get a properly machined adapter)
    • homemade catch can
    • Solas 15/20R (SRZ)
    • Vtech 8375 tune
    Everything was running great with the ski despite not having the 4" Kanaflex going all the way to the supercharger. Ran the ski for a few hours and then something happened where it started being a bit sluggish out of the hole. There was also a strange vibration when taking off from idle. However in this condition, it still managed to top out at 71 gps. I asked how many rpm's but he didn't get that info... My initial thought is that something may have went through the prop and it could be a wear ring issue. Inspection on the trailer looked good as far as I could tell however. We put fresh plugs in it and tried again to no avail.

I am planning on pulling the pump/impeller to have a closer look. Any other suggestions? Am I starting in the right place?

Is it cavitating out of the hole ?

Quote Originally Posted by dpracing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedgta View Post
    • homemade catch can
    • Solas 15/20R (SRZ)
    • Vtech 8375 tune

Is it cavitating out of the hole ?
    It may be, he described it as slipping so I think that's what he meant. When I went to ride it, I didn't go WOT, I just sorta blipped the throttle and noticed the vibe and idled back to the ramp. I should know more within a few days when I can take everything back out.

+1
    I just noticed he has a 2012 so it's prob not the pump bolts as the pump bolts to the shoe and doesn't have the same probs as 2010-2011 rxtxs. Check the prop. Maybe he has something like a stick in it or its all banged up and out of balance. I've seen a piece of wood the size of a toothpick cause that.

Will do...

+1
    It does sound like something in the pump/driveline...

I'd have a new wear ring on hand when you take out the pump because your probably going to need it.

My ski did something similar and I had a ding in the impeller and scoring on the wear ring...

Rip on...

+1
    Could be leaking air from carbon seal or bellows check them as well. Doesn't take much to cavitate and also it doesn't take much ware on the pump/ring to also cause problems

Quote Originally Posted by ravenit View Post
    Could be leaking air from carbon seal or bellows check them as well. Doesn't take much to cavitate and also it doesn't take much ware on the pump/ring to also cause problems
    What's the best/easiest way to check the bellows or carbon seal?

+1
    We ride in a lake that is more like a river and it has a ton of trash in it, so we run things through the pump all the time. SO we have vibrations. I bet he blew something through the pump and just put the prop out of wack causeing the vibration. I got tired of changeing props on my ski from all the trash in the water that I just run it this way! Its not smart, but you know what it would happen in the next ride or two anyway.
    But my bet is prop tweeked from trash debris through the pump.

Thread Information