Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's the best ocean riding set up for the FZR?

What the best ocean riding setup on the FZR?

I have the riva ride plate with the stock shims and I think my ski feels like it jumps more than with the stock plate. I also have stock sponsons too, don't know if that makes a difference in ocean riding.

+1
    I think most will say worx plate...

+1
    I didn't see any mention of a scoop grate in your post. If you're not running one, then you need to pick one up. It's a safety issue and provides better hookup and handling over stock as well. I like my R&D intake grate a lot. Riva offers a stainless steel intake grate and TBM offers an adjustable intake grate. There are a few others out there as well.

For rough water or ocean I would run the stock ride plate before the Riva or R&D rideplate. My FZR stayed hooked up better in chop with the stock plate vs the R&D plate, but the 2mph top speed gain from the R&D plate was a worthwhile trade off for me. I've heard good things about the Worx plate in rough conditions, but I've also read that it's slower than a stock ride plate in calm conditions. The Farthing ride plate would be interesting to try too, because I think it is longer than the stock, Riva, and R&D plates.

I'm not sure what sponson characteristics are ideal for ocean riding, but I have no complaints with my R&D sponsons in chop so far.

Quote Originally Posted by pwc4life View Post
    I didn't see any mention of a scoop grate in your post. If you're not running one, then you need to pick one up. It's a safety issue and provides better hookup and handling over stock as well. I like my R&D intake grate a lot. Riva offers a stainless steel intake grate and TBM offers an adjustable intake grate. There are a few others out there as well.

For rough water or ocean I would run the stock ride plate before the Riva or R&D rideplate. My FZR stayed hooked up better in chop with the stock plate vs the R&D plate, but the 2mph top speed gain from the R&D plate was a worthwhile trade off for me. I've heard good things about the Worx plate in rough conditions, but I've also read that it's slower than a stock ride plate in calm conditions. The Farthing ride plate would be interesting to try too, because I think it is longer than the stock, Riva, and R&D plates.

I'm not sure what sponson characteristics are ideal for ocean riding, but I have no complaints with my R&D sponsons in chop so far.
    Thanks, yea I have the r&d intake grate. I do alot of ocean riding and the riva performed terribly. The ocean today was pretty calm and the ski was still managing to come out of the water. I may think about sacrificing some mph for a smoother ride in the chops.

Is there anything else that can be done to help out with the ride?

shim the riva down or swap back to the stock plate from there use the trim to raise or drop the bow.

I've read up and saw that the Worx and Farthing are the best for ocean?

Worx robs alot of mph and Farthing very little if not none at all. I saw there has been alot of issues with the Farthing fitment, not sure if they have already fixed all those issues.

+1
    Most of my riding is done in the ocean, you can see the mods in my signiture. I run a Jims modified VX plate which I like a lot. It handles similar to the stock plate in the ocean if you are going 40-45mph or less. Above those speeds, it does tend to 'jump' a little, but most of my ocean riding isn't that fast.

Anyone know if the Farthing performs better than the stock plate in the ocean?

+1
    Would R&D sponsons help? Dont have them so cant comment.

Anyone have any experience with the Worx ride plate? I'm undecided on whether to get the Worx or Farthing..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information