Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1050 piston problem

I have a 1999 1050 that I replaced all three pistons and rings...#1 piston showed some deterioration on the dome and some slight scoring in the cylinder...I honed all cylinders and checked the bore diameter, all were with in tolerances...installed pistons, rings and gaskets...started the engine using pre-mix... ran it for a few minutes and checked compression...135 across all 3... started it back up at idle speed for a few minutes...something didn't sound right so I did another comp check...#1 was down to 120...pulled the head and the piston looked like it did before... the edges had deterioration again and the pieces seemed to have impacted the head...pulled the cylinder and it looks like it has very mild scoring...any idea what is eating the piston...#2 and 3 are ok....and yes I have a water kit installed, the exhaust water temp never got even warm...if this was a four stroke I would say detonation but not sure in a two stroke....any ideas...thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tcct View Post
    I have a 1999 1050 that I replaced all three pistons and rings...#1 piston showed some deterioration on the dome and some slight scoring in the cylinder...I honed all cylinders and checked the bore diameter, all were with in tolerances...installed pistons, rings and gaskets...started the engine using pre-mix... ran it for a few minutes and checked compression...135 across all 3... started it back up at idle speed for a few minutes...something didn't sound right so I did another comp check...#1 was down to 120...pulled the head and the piston looked like it did before... the edges had deterioration again and the pieces seemed to have impacted the head...pulled the cylinder and it looks like it has very mild scoring...any idea what is eating the piston...#2 and 3 are ok....and yes I have a water kit installed, the exhaust water temp never got even warm...if this was a four stroke I would say detonation but not sure in a two stroke....any ideas...thanks
    Have you gone threw the fuel system yet? Rebuild carbs. Replace fuel lines?

+1
    Hi. Sorry to hear of your trouble. Can you please post some pictures ? I would say that it is probably not just detonation if you only ran it on the hose with no load. You may have a big end rod bearing coming apart or some other failure causing foreign object damage. Pictures may help us determine what may be failing.
    Last edited by CrazyA; 06-16-2013 at 06:28 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    I agree with Crazy. I bet you have a rod thats going to fail.

I will get pics today...I agree rod endplay seems to be excessive, Ill check it and report back...going to pull the engine today...didn't rebuild carbs...I think #1 ran lean...need to check what else I might of damaged...thx

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Piston.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	303868
    Rod end play .018...with in spec...radial clearance also with in spec...so hopefully large end of rod is good..

This was a new piston, ran it about 20min with no load on water hose...I remember looking in the carb throats to see if I could see oil being injected...seems like I could see fuel in 2 and 3 but not 1...im sure i ran it lean... carb rebuild and try again...should I pull the engine and check out the bottom end...

Another SLX 1050 bites the dust

How does your dome look? I am going through the same thing on my 99 SLX 1050 number one cylinder! Some body help us! I just cleaned carbs, replaced fuel hoses, 5 minutes in the water bummed out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5047.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	303871  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tcct View Post
    This was a new piston, ran it about 20min with no load on water hose...I remember looking in the carb throats to see if I could see oil being injected...seems like I could see fuel in 2 and 3 but not 1...im sure i ran it lean... carb rebuild and try again...should I pull the engine and check out the bottom end...
    20 minutes is a long time to be running on the hose. Typically max run times on the hose are a couple of minutes, due to excess friction heating of the drive line shaft seals and the jet pump seals. When floating these seals are cooled by the water flow.

Is this engine using the stock oil injection or pre-mixed oil in the fuel. When breaking in new top end with pre-mix the oil ratio is 32:1, then 40:1 for normal operation.

With oil injection operating the fuel tank ratio would be 50:1 for top end break in.

I ran premix @ 40:1...revs never got over 2500....some deterioration on the head...doesn't look like it came from a foreign object...now i'm thinking i'll pull engine and rebuild pump....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information