2004 kawasaki ultra 130 di wont reach top rpm

Hi.. Thanks for reading my post..Have been in the jetski scene since 1983 and this is my first DFI ski. (mandated now at Lake mead) I bought a very clean 50 hour machine that runs great but wont reach top speed (55mph top) and 6,000 rpm. Kawasaki specs show 130hp at 7,000 rpm. I have read where many 130 di's reach 62-64 mph. Its like mine has a governor on it and starts perfect, purrs like a kitten at idle and revs fast. it just stops revving at 6,000 like it had a governor on it. Here's the lowdown: Compression 123 lbs across the board, New factory plugs, new fuel filter and brass valve thing in fuel line. (restrictor I think?) Throttle plates cleaned and check travel. (open all the way) The Kawasaki mechanic here put it on the computer and not throwing any codes. Also had the pump rebuilt and new solas prop made specifically for the ultra 150/130 installed. Ski would only turn 6,000 with the stock prop too so I know its not prop pitch issues. I have read that the TPS (throttle position sensor) could cause this so I just received one but am going to have the kawi mech install it. Could the emm be bad? what else could cause this lack of top end power, speed and rpm? Any help would be awesome!!

Brass valve thing you are referring to is the fuel pressure regulator. If you have no other symptoms other than it stops revving at 6,000 I would doubt the EMM is bad. From my experience they either run or they dont if the EMM has issues. Have you checked to make sure the hull air inlets arent plugged or blocked in any way? Did you check the condition of the reeds? Its possible you could have a fuel pump that is going weak at full rpm. If yours uses the same pump assembly as a STX DI I have found that a 95 Suzuki Samurai fuel pump and sock is an almost direct fit into the original housing.

2004 kawaski ultra 130 di not reaching max rpm UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    Brass valve thing you are referring to is the fuel pressure regulator. If you have no other symptoms other than it stops revving at 6,000 I would doubt the EMM is bad. From my experience they either run or they dont if the EMM has issues. Have you checked to make sure the hull air inlets arent plugged or blocked in any way? Did you check the condition of the reeds? Its possible you could have a fuel pump that is going weak at full rpm. If yours uses the same pump assembly as a STX DI I have found that a 95 Suzuki Samurai fuel pump and sock is an almost direct fit into the original housing.
    Thanks for all the valuable input. I will check the reeds... I had it at the Kawasaki dealer and I had the tech put in a new Throttle position sensor. He checked for codes and interestingly enough there was a fuel pump error at one time but cleared now. He checked the fuel pressure and it was all good. Hull air inlets are all good. pulled the flame arrestor cover and plates open fully and I have cleaned them. Had it on the lake again today runs great but again stops pulling at 6000 rpm and tops at 56 mph. I think you may be on to something with the fuel pump at WOT. I don't think there is anyway to diagnose that in a static mode... might be time for a fuel pump..THX

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    to check fuel pump pressure on the move you have put a shrader "T" fitting in the high pressure side of the line and watch the fuel pressure while you are riding at wot.

I'd have a look at the reeds also..watch for any blow back from the throttle bodies when you rev up on the hose.

is that 56 by gps or "speed-o-wishalot-meter?"

Thanks for the feed back everyone! The question I have that I cant find an answer to including the tech at moto tassanari is: Will aftermarket reed cages be compatible with the 130 DI motor? their application calls for "all Kawasaki triples" but I don't know if they just mean carb skiis. Will the added airflow and intake tract differences from the aftermarket reeds throw off the computer controlled fuel/air parameters of the DI ski? with 70 hours the ski should have the reeds checked but I don't want to invest 300 plus dollars plus labor to find out they are not compatible. Anyones help on this would be appreciated! I know there are lots of Kawasaki 1100 stx DI and ultra 130 DI's out there that could benefit from the Delta Reeds if they would work..thanks!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    unless the reeds are bad, I don't see the point of replacing them on a DI motor. Unlike a conventially aspirated engine, you won't lose HP on a DI ski if reeds are leaky, as long as you are seeing expected engine compression levels.

If you're paying somebody to change reeds..it's on THEM to know if it will work or not. That's one of the reasons I am always hesitant to install customer supplied parts. Nobody likes surprises.

That's why DI two strokes are still allowed @ meade, all fuel is burned as none of it is used to scavenge the previous cycles exhaust

Injected engines measure air pressure and temp along with throttle opening to control how much fuel is injected at any given engine stroke.

if your in the mood to grab at straws, Google plug indexing and see if that will make any difference in your engine performance. Free.

so...did you measure your max speed with gps?

Thread Information