2008 FX SHO Hull Scratches

Just joined this forum a few weeks ago. I've been learning a lot on here and want to thank everyone.

Yesterday I purchased a 2008 FX SHO. Every thing I've looked at checks out fine except for one thing. As you can see in the pictures below the guy apparently liked to run it up on the beach and it has left some good scratches. Nothing deep or notched out at all, just the paint or gelcoat (?) is worn off. Anyone have any recommendations on what I should to fix this. Should I try buffing it out or will it need to be redone. I have done a good bit of auto body and paint work but never on watercraft. And I'm not familiar with the nano excel hull. I live in upstate SC near Charlotte if anyone has any place they would recommend I take it to to get it looked at.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03618.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	303865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03617.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	303866

Here is a picture of the ski in-case anyone was interested in seeing it. It seems to have been kept up very well. Had 44 hours on it. Can't wait to get it registered and ready for the water this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	303867

+1
    Honestly, light sand and paint it if its not down to the nanoxcel fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    Honestly, light sand and paint it if its not down to the nanoxcel fiber.
    Do you know if its painted or gel coat?
    Can you tell by the pictures if it has reached the nano excel material? I don't believe it has but like I said I'm not very familiar with it...

All modern Yamaha hulls are painted (no gelcoat) to include all the Nanoxcel hulls. From the photos it looks like it just needs a coat of paint or two. You will see fibers sticking out like little hairs once you actually get into the material.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    All modern Yamaha hulls are painted (no gelcoat) to include all the Nanoxcel hulls. From the photos it looks like it just needs a coat of paint or two. You will see fibers sticking out like little hairs once you actually get into the material.
    Thanks Earnest.

As a former painter I hate even asking this question but I'm going to. Anyone have a good way to paint this area without having to paint the whole bottom of the hull. I don't want to cut critical corners by any means but if someone knows a good method for "blending" the paint properly I would love to know.

Thanks

+1
    I painted a small section of the bottom of my hull, right on the keel. It was a rectangular area about 1.5 inches by 4 inches. All I did was tape if off and hit it with dupli-color automotive spray can clear coat. It left a "paint edge" when I removed the tape, but on the bottom of the hull I am not very concerned with appearance, I just wanted to clear coat it for a little extra durability/ longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I painted a small section of the bottom of my hull, right on the keel. It was a rectangular area about 1.5 inches by 4 inches. All I did was tape if off and hit it with dupli-color automotive spray can clear coat. It left a "paint edge" when I removed the tape, but on the bottom of the hull I am not very concerned with appearance, I just wanted to clear coat it for a little extra durability/ longevity.
    Thanks Mike, Yea I had actually thought about just doing this. At minimum I could do it until I had time to take it out when summer is over and do it right...

Thread Information