Sudden exhaust problem

I hope someone can help me with this one.

Last year 2012, I finally bought a 4tec ski, a used stock 2008 RXPX. Great fast nimble machine. I love it!....but it seems there is always something happening now. My first problem was a loss of power when riding all out. It still did 50+, but not with the same get up and go. I figured out it was the supercharger hose that popped off. ( Thanks for the info Greenhulk community!) I fixed it....runs like a champ again.
    yesterday, after about two hours if cruising around with my son, I went out on my own. I was flying full throttle the whole time. Suddenly while racing a speed boat ( I was kicking his butt at the time) the power went almost down to zero, the ski obviously slowed and the warning beeper was screaming. I looke at the display and it showed exhaust and what looked like some code. Since I was in a bit of a panic, I didn't really catch the whole code number. I lifted the seat off and saw two things happening ( I still had the motor on). One, was that there was obvious exhaust smoke coming out of the hull, and two, the hull was filling with water. Is shut down the ski because the beeper wouldn't stop and I thought the exhaust hose might be pumping in the water. I waited for about two minutes and then decided I had to make it to shore to someone's cottage. The ski started no problem, but ran load an funny, I just gave enough gas to ride it about 100 yards to shore. I killed the motor and then could see that the hull would still fill with water.
    I had my b-in law get me on our other ski. We went bak with a bilge hooked it up and once empty dragged it back across the lake. During the tow, the hull filled again. We emptied it again at our place. I removed the seat frame to try and check what's going on. Without ripping apart the while ski, I was able to pull the inter cooler up and forward ( hoses still attached) but coils see anything. I decided to give it a quick start again. Started up no problem. What I notice is the smoke was coming from somewhere in the rear of the hull under the intercooler.
    It started to rain, so I couldn't continue

Has anyone had or know what this problem might be?

i really hope it's just another hose slip off of even burst?

Also, how can I check the code history again?

Thanks for reading my loooong story

I hope you guys and gals can help!

+1
    Check your exhaust hoses for one that may have come off or become defective,also check your waterbox for a possible blow out...once this is checked and confirmed youll then need to figure out the root of the problem..if it was just a blown hose then a new hose clamo may be all you need...if it is a blown out hose or waterbox then youll need to pull,inspect and clean out the cooling system to insure your sytem isnt clogged..then replace the neccesary parts as needed.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I agree with Sno, sounds like the water box blew out or another hose came off or has a hole in it.

+1
    Resonater box blown

Thanks for the quick responses!!! I will check all of that out. To get my ski back to the launch, I had to hook up a bilge before towing it back. Water was coming in just as fast as it was pumping out.
    The hull was pretty full of water. I checked the dip stick and ....gulp!:.....the oil was milky. Water got in the engine!
    Now what?

I will start taking apart whatever I can...without removing the engine, but I am afraid of what might be?

Any advice?

+1
    If you have water in your oil here is a general guide of the steps,

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3558

+1
    Tick tock.
    You've got to get the water out of the motor ASAP..
    After its out you need to run it to get any left over moisture out.
    Atleast 30+ min.
    After you figure out why your hull was getting water in it.

Tick tock...

Ill be working on the ski tonight and will start with the processes you guys have mentioned. Thanks! I will be crossing my fingers for sure and hope there isnt any major damage. A couple of questions i have though.....

1. Since i dont know yet what the root cause is.. (water box, resonator, hose pop off??)..... is it ok.....or can i restart the motor with some or all of those removed items removed...after i do the whole water removal process noted by Dave C?. It probably will be loud as hell....but other than that???

2. Is it ok to use any grade 5 or 10 W30 to flush out the milky oil....then use the good stuff...i.e Seadoo or Ams??....this will save a few bucks

3. I have read many forums on here and a lot of people have similar issues ( with stock skiis). Im not looking to super hype mine up in the future, but if i have to take apart some of these things and maybe replace the box, resonater, hoses...etc......what would some of you recommend as the next best alternative?.

I have seen / read / thought about free flow exhaust, or after market boxes, hoses??......any suggestions before i put this thing back together??....assuming i find out the real problem??

4. Since im still fairly new to the 4 Tec world, there has been mention of possible cooling system clogged ( thanks Snoman). What do i look for to check that?. What typically causes clogged cooling system?. Is there another link someone has created ( as Dave C did with the water in oil)

Being up here in Ontario Canada, we dont have as many resources and part suppliers as they have is the US. its tough to get most parts and parts quickly.

So far i have gotten better info on here than at the dealers!....Thanks again GH community!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskokamaniac View Post
    Ill be working on the ski tonight and will start with the processes you guys have mentioned. Thanks! I will be crossing my fingers for sure and hope there isnt any major damage. A couple of questions i have though.....

1. Since i dont know yet what the root cause is.. (water box, resonator, hose pop off??)..... is it ok.....or can i restart the motor with some or all of those removed items removed...after i do the whole water removal process noted by Dave C?. It probably will be loud as hell....but other than that???

Yes you can but as you stated,it will be load as hell

2. Is it ok to use any grade 5 or 10 W30 to flush out the milky oil....then use the good stuff...i.e Seadoo or Ams??....this will save a few bucks

Yes it is ok,use the cheapest oil you can find,as long as you put the right stuff back in when your done you will be ok

3. I have read many forums on here and a lot of people have similar issues ( with stock skiis). Im not looking to super hype mine up in the future, but if i have to take apart some of these things and maybe replace the box, resonater, hoses...etc......what would some of you recommend as the next best alternative?.

I would first find the route of your problem,figure out what went wrong then why...after that then decide what mods you want to start with..if you have a blown out waterbox then start looking at them options,resonator, then maybe a free flow exhaust...blown hose???well then the door to mods will open and so will your wallet...lol

I have seen / read / thought about free flow exhaust, or after market boxes, hoses??......any suggestions before i put this thing back together??....assuming i find out the real problem??

4. Since im still fairly new to the 4 Tec world, there has been mention of possible cooling system clogged ( thanks Snoman). What do i look for to check that?. What typically causes clogged cooling system?. Is there another link someone has created ( as Dave C did with the water in oil)
    To check for cooling system clogs you will want to pull your pump and check the pickup screen,then check to make sure your hoses are not kinked ot weak,from the hoses you want to check the IC for good water flow and then the mid pipes 3 pissers for any blockage...usually seaweed,sand or any other debris can clog a system up easily..you can hook a hose up to the flush point and usually back flushing helps but not always,sometimes you have to take the whole system apart to locate the problem

Being up here in Ontario Canada, we dont have as many resources and part suppliers as they have is the US. its tough to get most parts and parts quickly.

So far i have gotten better info on here than at the dealers!....Thanks again GH community!
    Good luck buddy,keep us posted...

Well guys......i think ( 99% sure) i found the issue.

I spent a while taking apart / removing a lot of the stuff from the ski last night...what a pain!.

Anyway, i first noticed a busted clamp in the hull, and after i had the intercooler, intercooler bracket and other hoses off, i saw a hose disconnected. Basically this hose had a double ended adapter and the one clamp gave out and the hose popped off. It was the hose that runs from the front of the exhaust manifold, down the front and along the underside of the engine towards the back. By the looks of it, the guy i bought it from might of had leak and instead of replacing the hose, he just added a brass connector, No of the online manuals show this connection, this hose typically goes to a "t" before continuing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXPX cooling hose 1.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	304057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXPX cooling hose 2.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	304058

So...now that i have half the stuff out of the ski, i want to some PM's on it and maybe make some changes.

I pulled out the Intercooler and then resonator. They both look fine with no apparant issues. I have a RIVA Free flow exhaust tube that i can install. Any special tricks or thigs to look out for with this?? It looks pretty straight forward.

I started to pump out the oily water as you guys suggested. I pulled out about 4 small (16 oz) coke bottle worth. It was pretty milky. I took out the plugs and didnt see any issues there. I cranked the engine and no oil / oily water came out the top end and the compression seems good.

Now a few more questions.

The oily water cam out pretty easy, but after refilling with somre regular oil to try and flush / clean out the engine, i am having a hard time pumping out that regular oil. Those litte red manual pumps suck!!.........its coming out slowere than mollasses!...Any tips on doing this more effficiently??

Is there another way.......drain plug....tipping the ski...whatever...to get the oil out easier??

The intercooler looks pretty good, but has some oily water in it. I wanted to clean it out. What the best way??... Since i work in the tooling / machine and automation building industry, we have mnay ways to clean things. When we clean out the hydraulic power unit rads / intercoolers, we use a degreasing / foaming rinse. Would you guys say this is ok to do for seadoo intercoolers??

Since i plan on replacing most the clamps (tired of them breaking or coming off), does anyone have good experience with other clamps than the regular Tridon Gear clamps??

Thats it for now.......but at least i figured out the first problem

Last edited by Muskokamaniac; 06-18-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Images didnt show up

Thread Information