+1

97 seadoo GTI 717 Bad MPEM?

Ok guys. I recently bought this 97 GTI ski from a summer camp for a grand total of $150 with the trailer. They just wanted it gone. According to the camp director the ski was running fine the previous year, but now will not crank. It did come with a lanyard which I assume is programmed to the MPEM. Put a brand new battery in it and connected the key. Nothing. No beeps, no starting, not gauge action. My testing at trouble shooting below.

Tested buzzer. It was bad. Replaced with a radio shack special.
    All 3 fuses checked and good. 1 -15 amp in the back, and the 15 and 5 on the MPEM
    5 starter button presses to enter advanced diagnostics results in nothing. No beeps, nothing
    Multiple grounds were iffy, I have fixed them all.
    Now the fun part.... If I test from ground to the fuses on the MPEM I get 8 volts. This is the same for both the 15 and the 5 fuses. Pressing the start button drops this to 1 volt. The battery is at 12.5 volts.
    now, if I disconnect the 4 wire plug at the flywheel cover, then I get the full 12.5 at the fuses. But still nothing from installing the key or trying advanced diagnostics.

So whats the deal? Is my MPEM bad? I am good with electronics. Is this something I can fix by un-potting the unit and doing some circuit component replacement. Do we know what caused this? If I replace the MPEM will it get cooked again? Is there any non-running tests for the magneto?

+1
    Ok guys. After no replies, and fully testing out the entire electrical system I decided to replace the MPEM with an aftermarket one. Now I have 2 happy beeps and so I pulled the plugs and spin it over. I get showered with what appears to be an oil water mix. 75% oil I would guess. It blew it about 20 ft in the air. Starting to think someone swamped it at the camp. Now after purging all the fluid out, should I try and start it? Anything I need to check first?

+1
    common issue with 717 after they sit for long time. crank seals leak oil from rotary gear area of crankcase into bottom end. usually just get all the oil out you can by cranking over with gas turned off. can just sit seat back on and let it stay in hull. once you get enough oil out put plugs back in and spray contact cleaner in intake should be able to get started. usually have to hold wide open until it clears up. going to dump a lot of oil out of exhaust a rear of ski. maybe put bucket under. going to also smoke a lot!!!. should be ok, just make sure you still have some oil tank.

+1
    Good to know. Do I need to look into replacing that seal in the long run?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    water coming out is very very bad.

the crank will have to be replaced if it's leaking from the rv cavity

the engine could be a short timer, water in there for 24 hours will rust the crank bearings. Was there any signs of rust on the plugs.

prime up the engine with a couple of squirts of premix. couple of fresh plugs too

don't find yourself far from shore with a dead engine.

+1
    More oily then water. Plugs looked great when I pulled them out. Hence I did not expect the shower I got. I was able to blow all the liquid out, and I checked and have good spark, so I may try and start it up tomorrow.

+1
    Well after having a few issues I pulled the engine and broke it all the way down. Glad I did. Cylinders were scored and could use a bore job. Metal was wedged in the timing plate, which bound up the rotary gear and stripped it. The cylinders also have hydro cracks on the top gasket pockets, so it looks like I need some new cylinders and a brass gear. Anyone got any laid around for a good price?

+1
    Well, time to revisit this project. I decided to go hardcore. Cylinder gasket lips are getting milled and then welded up, then the slots milled back in. I have a mill, an a buddy owns a machine shop with a aluminum welder. He is going to weld it up for a very high price, but it should be worth it. A 12 pack of natural light. More pics to follow after the welding.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404178725.448939.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	334434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404178745.428860.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	334435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404178765.218968.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	334436

Thread Information