Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra-150 will not go past 5-mph

I just bought my son a 2002 Ultra-150 has 46 hours in excellent condition was stored since 2009 when the gentlemen that owned it passed. Even thought it was not put in the water they checked it and winterized it every year. Compression checked out and the engine is so clean it looks news new. The issue I put it in the water for the first time will not go past 5-mph. The engine revs but feels like it pushing against something that is stuck. I was afraid to push it to hard, If I leave it at idle it cruises right along at 5-mph. I think it is the jet pump, if it was seized would this be the symptoms. I'm thinking even if there was an engine problem considering the power it would go past five. It is almost like there is a safety on the thing...

Thanks, NOHYPE!

+1
    Welcome to the forum Nohype!

Well isn't that a bummer. Oh k lets see... have you changed the spark plugs? Bad plugs usually cause it to pull but not accelerate and will often cause it to make a jerking sound but won't go faster than about 5 MPH or so. If it isn't the spark plugs just take it to a mechanic and have them look at it.

Cheers!

+1
    could be a very bad case of cavitation, you may need a new impeller

+1
    Have you inspected the pump tunnel, drive shaft, intake and impeller? Sounds like you have trash or debris in one of the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Have you inspected the pump tunnel, drive shaft, intake and impeller? Sounds like you have trash or debris in one of the 4.

Yes, everything looks new one of the reason i bought it, should the impeller spin freely. Or can only the engine make it spin...

Thanks.... I have a new set, they looked good before I put it in the water maybe they fouled. It has not been run in awhile. The engine does feel like a caged animal maybe it is the plugs... Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohype! View Post
    Yes, everything looks new one of the reason i bought it, should the impeller spin freely. Or can only the engine make it spin...
    No, the impeller will be hard to turn unless the spark plugs are removed.

+1
    the impeller shaft is locked into the driveshaft coming out of the engine. its possible to spin it but it would be just as hard as spinning a driveshaft. like steve said, you should be able to if the plugs are out.

it does sound like theres debris in the tunnel though, have you looked down it with a flash light?

Not Yet

Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    the impeller shaft is locked into the driveshaft coming out of the engine. its possible to spin it but it would be just as hard as spinning a driveshaft. like steve said, you should be able to if the plugs are out.

it does sound like theres debris in the tunnel though, have you looked down it with a flash light?
    No I have not, I have it on a boat hoist so I can easily check. What would happen if say the impeller drive jammed, is the driveshaft spinning against rubber coupling to the pump. Thanks for your help I appreciate it....

+1
    If the impeller were jammed, say with a rock, the driveshaft would not turn and the engine wouldn't crank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information