01 Virage gas tank vent?

I have finally got my 01 virage tx 1200 carb on the water after rebuilding the carbs and several other things. The other day I took it for a test ride several miles with no problems. Today I headed out and it did fine for first 10 mins then started to bog and would only run 1500-2500 rpms at full throttle. I could feather the throttle and it would almost rev up but then start bogging again. I tried loosing the gas cap and it had quite a bit of pressure on it but it did not change anything. I replaced the gas tank vents already they only allow air in the tank is that correct thats how the old ones that were to? They seemed fine but I replaced anyways. When I got the ski back on the trailer I pulled the air filter and watched to see if acceleator pump was shooting a good stream of gas but it was only spitting. Do I have a problem with pressure in the tank or is something inside my carbs messed up?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel tank has two venting check valves. One for air IN and one for air OUT. Make sure each was installed correctly.

Did you also replace the original gray Tempo fuel hoses?

Did you use genuine OEM carb rebuild kits?

Check compression. All spark plugs out, throttle wide open.

Check spark plugs for correct type, correct gap.

Check ignition wires and plug caps for correct ohms.

Check pulse hoses from crankcase to fuel pump on carbs.

+1
    How did it run after vent valves replaced?
    Carb circuits are very small, they can get clogged up very easily and a little build up will quickly degrade performance or even cause damage to the engine. Anytime performance gets sluggish, it's always a good idea to check fuel delivery system and piston/cylinder compressions.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Fuel tank has two venting check valves. One for air IN and one for air OUT. Make sure each was installed correctly.

Did you also replace the original gray Tempo fuel hoses? Yes

Did you use genuine OEM carb rebuild kits? Carbs were just cleaned nothing needed replaced

Check compression. All spark plugs out, throttle wide open. Did not check

Check spark plugs for correct type, correct gap. BR8ES that was what it had in it when I got it

Check ignition wires and plug caps for correct ohms. I did when I was testing no spark issues I had before I got it running

Check pulse hoses from crankcase to fuel pump on carbs. Good shape
    I blowed threw all the hoses and check valves but did not see anything wrong let it set for little while and checked to see if pressure had built in tank and there was none when i loosened the cap like there was before so I went for a ride and it did fine i dont know if I had a stuck valve or maybe a line had some trash in it. I will report back if I have more issues

Thread Information