MSX 150 won't get above 5000 RPM's

Hello All,

It has been a while since I have posted and it has been a while since I had the craft in the water. First weekend out everything ran beautifully. However this weekend I took it out and it would not get above 5,000 RPM's. I seem to recall having this problem a long time ago but I can't remember what I did to fix it. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

Did you roll it when riding it the previous weekend? Also check the waste gate arm to see that it moves freely. There will be resistance but you can move it by hand.

+1
    A rev limit around 5k... would most likely point to a possible overboost condition. When detected, the ECU display a check engine light and limit the RPMs to 4800. Sound like what you experienced?

As Red mentioned... check the turbo wastegate arm to ensure it moves and is not seized (semi-common issue).

Cheers!

Sorry for not updating sooner. I found the problem. The throttle body had worked its way loose off the manifold. Tightened everything back up and she ran great again.

Altron... I am having this same problem and was wondering where you found this problem. I'm not a mechanic and do not know where the throttle body and manifold are. How do I check this? Where do I look in the ski? Any pics would help tremendously. Thanks in advance!

Hobnobber

+1
    Welcome Hobnobber.

The throttle body sits on the intake manifold (right side of ski... battery side) between the two runners that bolt to the engine head. It has a big hose connecting to it off the hard pipe (the pipe that connects to the intercooler). Remove all these hoses and you see the throttle body. It bolts to a rubber "boot" that seals to the intake manifold via a large hose clamp. Make sure this "boot" is secure and has no tears in it... and that the throttle body is bolted securely to it.

If in doubt about parts... you can alway ebay search them (ex. Polaris MSX 150 throttle body)... then you can look at the pictures and see the part... then find it on your engine.

Check out this link for lots more good information: (see the MSX 150 link there)
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Cheers!

Thread Information