99 GSX limited tops out at 6200 rpm

My 1999 gsx limited has a hesitation when accelerating from a stop and almost stalls. Once it gets going its good and will take off to about 6200rpm but won't go any higher. It also doesn't want to rev up when turning. The compression is good, fuel lines replaced and carbs rebuilt last year. I just cleaned the rave valves. I was reading it could be the water regulator. Is the small line going to the pipe from the regulator supposed to pour out water at WOT and only drip at idle? Is there a way to test the rave valves?

Anything else I should check?

Thanks!

+1
    Thew only way to test the water regulator is under load.(Hose from tap wont work )Best way is to back the trailer into the water and tie it so the ski wont move
    You should have more water at Idle then when you are increasing revs it should still flow but at a reduced rate.
    It should always flow water at WOT as it cools the rubber couplers on the exhaust system

Another test is to take the rave covers off and the springs underneath and take it out and check rpms this will rule out the raves,
    it will feel doughy and gutless low down but will come alive up top.

The hesitation is usually the accelerator pumps not working or the brass inset orrifices from the accelerator pumps that shoot the fuel down the carbs are blocked

I think you will have to pull them off to check this on the gsxl

+1
    +1 on the exhaust RAVE valve check. Even though you just cleaned them, pop the caps and see if the springs that hold the bellows fell off. It used to be a common thing and would limit rpm's to around 6,200 - 6,400. I used to double wrap mine with SS wire like Group K used to recommend.

I tested the raves by pulling the caps and springs off then taking it for a ride. Bottom end is terrible but I'm still only getting 6200rpm. I tested the water regulator on the lake and when I pulled the tube off the pipe, it drips at idle and pours out at wot. So I guess that is not right?

+1
    Should reduce as revs build

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    Should reduce as revs build
    Any idea why mine is backwards?

+1
    Spring and or clamp has broken , they are easy to fix .Have a look at the parts diagram

Carefully unscrew it from the waterbox brass valve and remove the cover and slowly pull it apart and see where the problem is. Make sure the brass insert in the waterbox has a small 3 mm hole and its all clear as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5530B10.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	303988  

Thread Information