R12X Sucked Something Up? Help Needed!

Hi. First post to the forum. Also, first time with jet skis and had them on the lake for the first time yesterday. Honda ran great off the trailer, but then when my son took it out, it vibrates and won't go over 4mph. I saw another post with similar issue and they sucked up a bag or something. The lake has a LOT of milfoil and although we idled through it, I'm thinking the R12X is jammed with weeds?? My SeaDoo had a similar issue, but just gun it and it would clear right up. Can I clear the weeds with the ski in the water (or on the lift)? I thought there would be a screw off opening under the seat or somewhere to reach in and clear it, but no deal. The manual says put it on land and tip it on its side to clear it???!!!! Could use some help here. TIA!

+1
    Check that you don’t have something stuck around the shaft. I once had a very small piece of nylon rope stuck round the shaft and it vibrated like crazy! Also be careful if the pump is blocked and not pumping enough water your engine is going to overheat. You can clear the stuff that is stuck between the bars of the intake grate in the water, but if the stuff is stuck on the impeller and around the shaft I think it is best if you get it back on the trailer to make sure you get everything out.

Thanks for your reply! I guess I'll see if I can pull anything out while it's on the lift. Then, I'll give it a shot and if still no-go, I'll limp over to the launch and pull it out. I hope this is something unusual... I don't want to be doing this all summer.

+1
    Only happens once in a while. I have my ski for more than 5 months now and I have put on more than 50 hours and it only happend to me once.

Yep... the intake is stuffed absolutely full and tight with weeds. I limped it over to the trailer maybe 150 yards away and 25 yards out all forward motion stops and the warning beeper starts. I drifted in, put it on the trailer and pulled it out, with thick weeds hanging down to the ground. I'll get under it this weekend with a long screwdriver and pull everything out.
    I'm guessing my strategy of idling through the weed field is not a good one. Should I motor through to allow it to spit out whatever it sucks in? I can't get from my dock to the lake without going through 40-50 yards of thick weeds (at least until the DNR harvests/mows).
    Appreciate any advice.

+1
    How strong are those weeds?

Pretty typical for weeds, I'd say... but strength in numbers... they are thick on the lake this year.
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives..._pondweed.html

+1
    dont go thru weeds !!!!!! even a short distance at full speed can clog the intake grate !!! been there.

Thread Information