Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Install info on R&D intake grate/Pump Seal Kit

I have a 2010 Yamaha FZR and after coming across the information concerning the "bucking" issues I have ordered and received the new grate and pump seal kit. I haven't been able to find any install info on either applications. I found info on the Riva pump seal kit and intake grate so I'm assuming its the same?
    I just want to make sure of the specifics.

Red or Blue Loc-Tite? I've seen people post applications of both.
    Silicone on places where intake grate meets up with hull?

Pump Seal Kit- Silicone on pieces before they go into position to seal them in or just put them into their perspective places and just silicone external sides of them where they will meet up to other surfaces and bond?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Blue......I don't use any silicone or sealer

Thanks RW, I appreciate it. So you didn't use any silicone on your pump seal kit install either? Just put pieces in and seal the grate back up?

+1
    You want to use silicone (3M 4200 fast cure) on the mating surfaces of the grate, using silicone on the plug kit itself is, IMO, optional--I did however. I strongly recommend you use RED loctite, it is what the yamaha service manual says to use and is stronger than blue.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    You want to use silicone (3M 4200 fast cure) on the mating surfaces of the grate, using silicone on the plug kit itself is, IMO, optional--I did however. I strongly recommend you use RED loctite, it is what the yamaha service manual says to use and is stronger than blue.
    Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the quick response.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Yea to each his own......I don't like what red does to the threads on the inserts......I have bad luck with stuff like that

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    and Yamaha says red on every nut and bolt on the ski including seat base and reverse handle???, No I don't use sealer I have not had any issues from it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    and Yamaha says red on every nut and bolt on the ski including seat base and reverse handle???, No I don't use sealer I have not had any issues from it
    I think using silicone on the mating surfaces (ie the parts of the grate that touch the hull around the bolts) is very important because it helps prevents water, salt, and debris from getting at the bolt(s) and potentially causing them to come loose.

Yea to each his own......I don't like what red does to the threads on the inserts......I have bad luck with stuff like that
    I hear what you're saying man, I've had the same issues on other applications with Red.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I think using silicone on the mating surfaces (ie the parts of the grate that touch the hull around the bolts) is very important because it helps prevents water, salt, and debris from getting at the bolt(s) and potentially causing them to come loose.
    That's why I was really trying to get feedback from people who have done it because from all that I read, some do the silicone and some don't. I wanted to get feedback on whether issues came up if you didn't use it or not. This is my first time to do ANYTHING to my ski as it is totally stock. It just makes me a little nervous so I want to make sure I do it right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information