My ski always works sometimes... griffin55's Avatar
    +1

Impellor/Cavitation question

I bought a new to me 2009 FZS a few weeks ago. The low end cavitation is pretty bad when launching, but is fine in the mid and top end. Based on everything I've read here and from people I've talked to, my understanding is that it's either a bad impeller or wear ring.

I don't have the tools to measure the impeller clearance or wear ring diameter as described in the service manual, so I'm going to drop it off at the dealer to have them check it out. If it is the impeller, I want to have the best replacement for my setup. As far as planned mods - I have the R&D grate and plan on a plate as well. I also plan on pairing the Riva intake manifold upgrade with the power filter, but that is pretty much it for now.

After a bit of searching, it seems like I should either stay with the OEM impellor or go with the Riva 13/22R.

Does that sound right? Any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

+1
    On a stock FZR, you shouldn't have any cavitation (maybe a spin or two from a dead stop). It soulds like you are on the right track, it could be the prop or the wear ring. If the prop has damage, you want to replace it with a stock one-- the 13/22R won't get you any performance benefits on a stock ski IMO.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Have some one (or if you can reach) shine a flashlight through the intake grate and look from the steering nozzle ....if you can see light around the prop then it needs replacing or rebuilding....how many hours and can you see any damage to the prop? Dealer will probably charge you 2 hours to check it.....

i had the same problem, i change my prop to the 13/22r but with the Air filter, FF exhaust, Ribbon delete. it ran fine if not a little bit better i knew this prop is too big for the mods but ive always planned to go bigger... but a lot of instead of buying a new prop if ur stock one is fine recondition it n repitch it according to your mods...

My ski always works sometimes... griffin55's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Have some one (or if you can reach) shine a flashlight through the intake grate and look from the steering nozzle ....if you can see light around the prop then it needs replacing or rebuilding....how many hours and can you see any damage to the prop? Dealer will probably charge you 2 hours to check it.....
    If I see light, how do I know if it's the prop or the wear ring without measuring? Based on the condition of the prop blades?

Thread Information