Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1998 Yamaha gp1200

First off I'm new to the pwc world. I purchased a used 1998 Yamaha gp1200 and had it out for the first time on Father's Day 6/16/13 and it ran great all afternoon until the time I was going to take it out of the water. It will not start and it seems that it will not even attempt to fire. I can crank it over and over and nothing. I did check and add gas, turned it to reserve and on, checked and replaced the plugs, checked the mode and start settings and still nothing. I plan to try spraying a small amount of premixed gas in the carbs today and see if it will fire. Any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate.

I do have the problem that other's have posted also about the gauges not working. They ask for the code when I hold down the mode button and I can enter a code that will lock or change to start but that is the only time the gauges show anything. The warning light will flash if I unplug the blue connector.

Any help please, I have grandkid's who want to have water fun!!!
    Last edited by RickT; 06-18-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling error

+1
    check to see if it has spark. Also check the compression.

Thanks Cutlass

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    check to see if it has spark. Also check the compression.
    Thanks Cutlass, I will have to pick up a compression guage today and then will check that and for spark. I sure hope it is something simple as this was the first time we had it out. It was running great all afternoon. It sounds like having the kill switch on my motorcycle when trying to start now, cranking without any attempt to fire.

Well looks like I have no spark. Not sure what could have caused that, any ideas to check out????

+1
    The start/stop/lanyard switch and the stator are the most common causes. PM sent

Thanks Cutlass, I'm checking in the service manuel for this cause. Any idea why the multi function gauges are not turning on? I've tried the self diagnostic test and it runs thru all the functions but then never turned on when the machine was running? I can set a access code (which I had reprogrammed) but it makes no difference as far as starting to my knowledge. I'm not sure if it actually will not even turn over the motor when set to lock or just act like the problem I have now with it not starting. Like a kill switch on a motorcycle, crank and crank till the battery is almost dead then you realize the kill switch is on. I've done that a few times in my life - feel like a dork when that happens. I can't imagine the code being the problem with it not starting now as it was not even used at all the afternoon we used the ski. Also when I had set the access code in the garage before ever riding it did not matter if the code was set to lock or start the machine would start in either mode. Sure hope to have this machine back in the water soon, people coming for 4th of July and we planned on riding all day.

Thanks again for your info!!!!!

+1
    the display not working, is kind of a mystery to me. I'm not 100% sure what causes it. And I haven't found an answer in all the searching and posts on here about the subject. But I have some ideas.
    Low voltage (old battery) has caused my display to be glitchy and not turn on (I think). I could usually get it to turn on by starting the engine, and playing with the mode/security buttons. A new battery fixed mine (so far).
    Check your charging voltage when the ski is running. I should be up in the 13 to 15 volt range. That could do it also. I'm pretty sure the CDI "wakes" up the display so if all else checks out, try replacing the display 1st and then maybe the CDI.

Possible problem found

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    the display not working, is kind of a mystery to me. I'm not 100% sure what causes it. And I haven't found an answer in all the searching and posts on here about the subject. But I have some ideas.
    Low voltage (old battery) has caused my display to be glitchy and not turn on (I think). I could usually get it to turn on by starting the engine, and playing with the mode/security buttons. A new battery fixed mine (so far).
    Check your charging voltage when the ski is running. I should be up in the 13 to 15 volt range. That could do it also. I'm pretty sure the CDI "wakes" up the display so if all else checks out, try replacing the display 1st and then maybe the CDI.
    I was told the gauges worked when I bought it but needed a new battery for them to work. I did buy a new battery and they still did not work. The gauges do fine when the machine is not running when I do the self diagnostic test. (Hold mode, A and C buttons down all at the same time for at least 3 seconds to test). Last night a friend helped me trace down what we think is the problem and hope it will solve both the starting and gauges not working. After checking all the other electrical connections we ended up taking the CDI box off and opened it. First off found on the back - the top middle 2 wires coming out were rubbing on the seat latch bolt that sticks down into the engine compartment. That I will be removing and grinding down. The wiring diagram shows those going to the starter relay, we also believe the rectifier regulator is bad from the wires hitting the seat latch bolt. The wires are not totally broken just the insulation rubbed off so I believe I can put some heat shrink tube over the bad section and replace the rectifier and be back in business. I'll be checking for the parts locally unless they are way more money then I'll do the new way of searching online for best price and wait for the shipping. My first search has the rectifier regulator at about $40 so not too bad. Hope to have it back running soon.
    Last edited by RickT; 06-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Well I got the part I ordered - the rectifier regulator - and put it in with great expectations. Very disappointed when after installing to find it still has no spark. Any other ideas from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

I've had two mechanics tell me like Cutlass did from the start that it could be the stator. Anyone know how to test the stator to see if it is bad? The part is anywhere from $200 to over $500 so I would like to know if it is bad before just ordering it.
    Last edited by RickT; 06-27-2013 at 05:17 PM.

+1
    The specs and test procedures are in the service manual. The specific tests to focus on are the pulsar coils and the charge coil tests.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information