Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Primer kit

Primer kit

I am installing a primer kit on my 1996 Kawasaki 1100 Zxi. Can I attach the hose to the oiler nipples for injection Into the carbs? (I've removed the oiler. It's premixed.) or do I have to go ahead & remove the choke valves? I've heard removing the choke valves can make it run lean

+1
    No, not on that engine.

I've done a couple of 1100s, I drilled and tapped holes on the equalizer tube elbows (the tube that goes across the carbs) and put barbed fittings in them. I put one fitting on each end and it works great. I left the chokes on because sometimes it just takes a little choke to get it running when it's warm.

Thanks. This thing is driving me nuts. Only one of 4 projects I can't seem to get going

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    No, not on that engine.

I've done a couple of 1100s, I drilled and tapped holes on the equalizer tube elbows (the tube that goes across the carbs) and put barbed fittings in them. I put one fitting on each end and it works great. I left the chokes on because sometimes it just takes a little choke to get it running when it's warm.
    Steve,
    I just purchased the generic primer off ebay for the 3 carbs like what is seen in the link.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90645

I like what was done here but I'm afraid I'm missing a few pictures here to feel comfortable.
    I would like to install the primer pull where he did it also (basically exactly like he did)
    I'm having trouble figuring out what the plastic pieces that are installed in the carbs are or where to find them as I didn't see them in the catalogue where he said he purchased them (Tower hobbie)
    It seems that the carbs don't need to be removed to do this procedure (unfortunately it was done 4+ years ago).
    I have a 97 1100 ZXI with a newly rebuilt engine.
    I do NOT want to remove the choke.
    Do you have any insight as to how you did yours, or even better, some pictures??
    This procedure looks like a fairly fast installation.

Thanks so much for all of your opinions and writeups.
    Regards
    Dave

I drilled and tapped my carbs and installed a fitting. Works perfect and you only need to install one. If you drill the manifold you could have an issue of it drawing fuel like I did. Btw the plunger type primers are crap, bulb Is the way to go. Ill get a picture of where I drilled and tapped if interested. . Cant seem to find it at the moment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1376669597150.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	310507  

+1
    I've done several CV carb setups by putting the nozzles in the balance tube elbows, and 4 of my 750s have the nozzles mounted directly in the intake manifold. No problems with any of them, but I can see that a failed primer might leak.

What are you using in that setup, a bulb from a WeedEater or something? Looks pretty neat!

Yup weed eater primer set up. Much smaller and compact then the huge plunger.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151102431974

I had an issue with drilling and tapping and intake manifold on my ultra.. it literally just drew gas through the lines

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Yup weed eater primer set up. Much smaller and compact then the huge plunger.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=151102431974

I had an issue with drilling and tapping and intake manifold on my ultra.. it literally just drew gas through the lines
    Was that when using the above primer? I could see that happening if the check valve was leaking.

Yes it was

+1
    Hmmm... I was thinking of trying that on my Ultra, but maybe I won't now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information