Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sunk Ultra 150 Next Steps..

So between some donuts and a flipped ski I got some water into the intake cut outs I have on my 150. Then some large boat flew by and his wake over took me... Needless the motor and about everything but the oil and gas tank was under water. Its fresh water thank god...

Time Line:

30 minutes after sinking water was drained and ski put on trailer. Did not have wd40 for tools to wrench on it that day and was staying at a friends that night.

24 hours from sinking: Spark plugs pulled. WD40 in cylinders. Gyzer of water. more water... more wd40... repeat. dried to only a mist coming from the cylinders. New spark plugs. Ski runs on trailer... (sigh of relief for phase 1)

48 Hours from sinking: Got it to the lake with half a tank of gas and some water carb cleaner in the tank. Ran the shit out of it for about an hour till I burned what was left in the tank and carb cleaner.

Conclusion: Ran a little rough on the lake at first as expected but cleared up fairly nicely. Still has some moments of sluggish like when pinning the throttle form a stand still it takes it a second to catch up. Most of the mid range is fine. top end feels slightly slower...

Any thoughts on the next steps I should take?

+1
    Too late, now. If there's any corrosion on the crank bearings (very possible after two days), expect the crank/rod bearings to fail and cut the engine in half.

If it were mine, I'd pull the engine, then remove the intake manifold/reeds and look at the rod bearings. If they're not shiny, expect failure in less than 10 hours.

You don't have the toolkit that came with it?

The ski is a group K stage 2 when I bought it if that helps or doesn't help. And I do not have the tools that came with it. What would I need to pull the motor and intake? I know basic wrenching never pulled a motor though.

Don't pee in my Pool 150ofUltra's Avatar
    Hey I just did a 150 engine removal. Here's my topic. someone said to double up the 2x4's for saftey but I felt comfortable with my two.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=197733&page=2

How long did it take you to strip it to the point that you could see the rod bearings?

you could get to them with in 2hrs after you get the engine out. Faster if you know what your doing. I just took my time making sure I was taking everything off properly. I took the case to the kawi dealership to have them pull off the coupler and fly wheel.

+1
    No need to tear the entire engine down. You can see the rod bearings by removing the intake manifold & reeds.

I was thinking crank bearings, sorry....

Take stevea advice and take it apart. If you haven't rebuilt one of these 1200 you don't know how costly it could be. One of our ultras has 1700 into us rebuild then engine. Better safe then cracking the case or destroying a cylinder.

Alright I'll look into it and see if I can get it out with some buddies help one of these weekends... Any idea on the source of "hole shot lag" and at WOT it GPSed at 60mph... granted I ride at 5700 feet above sea level 78 degrees 25% humidity. Its a group k stage 2. skiworx exhaust, ADA head, R&D grate, stock ride plate, blue printed pump, not sure on the impeller it very well may be stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information