+1

Question for the new cruiser sho owners

For all the new style fx cruiser owners, SHO or HO, how does the machine behave in the chop/waves? Does it spray you a lot? I'm just curious because I get a fair amount of spray on my FZS, and XLT, but I rode a Seadoo gtx (2012) in monstrous chop with 20 mph gusts and I legit was bone dry. I could not believe how dry of a ride the Seadoo was.

That's still not enough to make me get one and sacrifice my storage capacity though. But I would love to have less spray in my face!

+1
    I have ridden an FZS a good bit and own an FX Cruiser SHO. The FX is a much drier ride for sure. There is many days when I just cruise and never really get a drop on me. I could wear my Sunday church clothes out on it after church if I really wanted too!!! Now, in East TN our lakes are relatively calm compared to what many ride in. It is about as dry as it gets that is out there. The FX is great in the chop or ocean riding. Maybe a 300x is the only thing better for rough riding?

+1
    you think your fzs is a wet ride? try my gpr! it could be complete glass out and i'd be soaked in 30 seconds. but yeah i've heard that the 300x handles the chop well and it still has a ton of storage space.. like 60 gallons or something, correct me if im wrong.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Yeah I do ride in some pretty choppy waters, but we do have river riding a lot too. The fzs sprays me a lot if there is even a light breeze, especially if there is a cross wind! Oh my god, the cross winds are annoying early or late in the season, it's so cold!

That's good to know, I guess from looking at the fx cruiser hull I didn't notice any distinguishing features that would make it deflect water better, which is why I asked.

Anybody else notice how unbelievably dry that Seadoo gtx is?

+1
    I would say the ride is very dry. The front has been updated to deflect spray. I was out last week on a busy lake and the only time I caught a spray was when I hopped some wakes. Standing with the trim up a notch it ate anything I came across.

+1
    Interesting. I found that my trim adjusted bow down actually keeps me from getting sprayed more than bow up. I love having the bow down in chop too so you don't bounce much!

Btw, I feel your pain with the GPR!!! I had one before my FZS! What a fun machine though!!! That's why I'm having a tough time deciding to part with the XLT or not.

+1
    Matt I was looking at replacing my 2008 Yamaha FX SHO Cruiser and so took a 2012 Seadoo GTX Ltd iS 260 for a ride in the chop, followed immediately by a 2013 Yamaha FX SHO and later a 2013 Kawasaki 300X. It was an extremely close call between the Seadoo & the Yamaha as to which was the drier and more comfortable ski, but I was very impressed with both. The Kawasaki, for all the hype, in my opinion, didn't handle the chop as well as the other two skis and was by far the wetter ride out of the three skis.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Matt I was looking at replacing my 2008 Yamaha FX SHO Cruiser and so took a 2012 Seadoo GTX Ltd iS 260 for a ride in the chop, followed immediately by a 2013 Yamaha FX SHO and later a 2013 Kawasaki 300X. It was an extremely close call between the Seadoo & the Yamaha as to which was the drier and more comfortable ski, but I was very impressed with both. The Kawasaki, for all the hype, in my opinion, didn't handle the chop as well as the other two skis and was by far the wetter ride out of the three skis.
    Thank you! I'm glad to hear an opinion from somebody who rode the Seadoo as well. The other nice thing I noticed about the Seadoo was that it was planted. It really never came unhooked, idk if it was because of the extra weight, or a different intake grate/pump design. Either way I was impressed with the Seadoo's hook up and ride. I was very disappointed in the motor though. It had 25 hours on it, and it felt like it was beat up and worn out. It made strange noises and didn't really respond that good.

My FZS has 165 hours and it felt much more solid when I got back on it and rode away. Of course I was getting sprayed and beat up in the chop, but you get the idea. Seadoo still hasn't done it, for me at least.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nunnink23 View Post
    Interesting. I found that my trim adjusted bow down actually keeps me from getting sprayed more than bow up. I love having the bow down in chop too so you don't bounce much!

Btw, I feel your pain with the GPR!!! I had one before my FZS! What a fun machine though!!! That's why I'm having a tough time deciding to part with the XLT or not.
    I tried the trim all the way up and it was too bouncey. These machines ride high on the water. I ride around with the trim up a notch most of the time, only trimming down to carve corners. I like the feeling of going over the waves, rather than plowing through. Kind of like a moto X bike over a whoop section.

+1
    So is it still necessary to do a PPK and seal the shoe? What about an intake grate?

I never noticed my FZS cavitation in stock form but I did the PPK and intake grate simply because of the threat of bucking.

Thread Information