Which trailer should I keep?

Hi
    I own these two Shorelander trailers, one has the wide wheels ( 8.5x8 ) and the other one the thinner taller wheels ( 4.8x12 ).
    Personally I feel that the one with the wider wheels is more stable, bounces less than the other one and most of the times you forget you have a trailer attached to your vehicle.
    I read a few posts and many people are trying to replace the tires and rims for taller ones (>diameter), what is the advantage?
    I'll eventually be selling one of the two and would like to hear any reasons why I should keep one or the other.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailers.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	304129  

+1
    Personal preference for i love the smaller wider wheels..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    ... many people are trying to replace the tires and rims for taller ones (>diameter), what is the advantage?
    The main advantage with larger diameter tires is that they roll better over rough ground and turn lower wheel bearing RPM at highway speeds.

Larger tires can also have a taller sidewall which better protects the rim from curb hits and pothole impacts.

The main downside is that taller tires raise the trailer frame which means the trailer must be rolled farther down the launch ramp to get the bunks wet. And of course there must be enough room under the fenders to clear the larger tires when the suspension jounces over road bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... many people are trying to replace the tires and rims for taller ones (>diameter), what is the advantage?
    The main advantage with larger diameter tires is that they roll better over rough ground and turn lower wheel bearing RPM at highway speeds.

Larger tires can also have a taller sidewall which better protects the rim from curb hits and pothole impacts.

The main downside is that taller tires raise the trailer frame which means the trailer must be rolled farther down the launch ramp to get the bunks wet. And of course there must be enough room under the fenders to clear the larger tires when the suspension jounces over road bumps.
    So:
    1) Taller wheel equals lower rpms (less wear): In this case the final diameter of both is kind of close so there shouldn't be a huge difference.
    2) A taller sidewall reduces the impact: The wider wheel has a taller sidewall.
    3) Smaller wheels, easier launch: Again, the wider wheels are slightly smaller.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

So:
    1) Taller wheel equals lower rpms (less wear): In this case the final diameter of both is kind of close so there shouldn't be a huge difference.

Smaller wheels = easier launch only applies when changing the wheels on the same trailer.

In your case you have two different trailers, so the actual bunk height and trailer+tongue length of each trailer determines which one would keep the tow vehicle the farthest up the launch ramp when the hull starts floating.

So:

Smaller wheels = easier launch only applies when changing the wheels on the same trailer.

In your case you have two different trailers, so the actual bunk height and trailer+tongue length of each trailer determines which one would keep the tow vehicle the farthest up the launch ramp when the hull starts floating.
    These two trailers have the exact same frame therefore lower wheels = lower bunk height.
    I think I know which one to keep.
    Thanks again.

Thread Information