2008 RXP 215hp, 288 hours. Getting warning message ‘Supercharger Maintenance’ Rebuild

NOTE: I am not currently experiencing any symptoms related to the performance of my watercraft. It is running fine.

I have owned my 2008 RXP 215 since new. Before purchasing it, I researched and learned that superchargers can be an issue. I asked, and researched the following question;

‘What can I do before I put my new 2008 RXP 215 in the water to extend the life of my supercharger, and lessen the likelihood of supercharger failure’?

What I did was have the dealership install a ‘blow-off’ valve, and an upgraded intake grate. So, these upgrades / parts have been in place on my RXP since before it ever touched water.

I had a dealership rebuild the supercharger at just before 100 hours, and then just before 200 hours. I did this both times to keep my extended warranty in place. I did not realize that these expensive rebuilds would be necessary to keep my warranty in the ‘valid’ status when I bought the ski. The last time the supercharger would have been rebuilt would have been about February 2012. When the 2/2012 rebuild took place, I understand the most updated rebuild kit was used. I believe this would be the titanium clutches / washers?

Now, my warranty has expired, it was over in October of 2012.

A couple days ago, I started getting a warning message displayed at the same place where you see the ‘Welcome Aboard’ message when the ski is started. The message I am getting is (in all caps as typed here) SUPERCHARGER MAINTENANCE. Also I am getting another warning, MAINT flashes 3 times.

Are these warning messages the result of the same thing, or are there different issues?

I suspect that the ‘SUPERCHARGER MAINTENANCE’ message is purely a result of timing. I suspect that it has been about 90 hours since anybody (dealership) hit the reset button on my ‘supercharger rebuild’ meter. Is this correct?

So, based on what I have provided, please let me know if I should rush to the dealership and rebuild the supercharger. Any info on the most cost-effective way to rebuild the supercharger would be great as well.

+1
    I am sure the more experienced members will jump in but I would think the 2 warnings you are getting is just part of the preset maint. timer. I would either have Seadoo rebuild the charger as you have in the past or send it to Gerry here at Greenhulk. I hear he is a master at sc rebuilds. Either way you will still need to get to the dealer and have them reset the maint. timer.

+1
    How many hours are on the ski when you had the SC rebuilt last?? How many hours are on it now??? Do you have the reciept from the the dealer that would have the part # for the SC kit they used??? If we know the part # I can tell you if you are on 100 hr or 200 hr (per BRP) rebuild time frame. Most here will tell you that they wont let the SC go past 100 hours even if they have the 200 hr kit but it is all in how you ride the ski..I have had people with the old ceramic washers go almost 200 hours and have no issues...It is all in how you ride it...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    How many hours are on the ski when you had the SC rebuilt last?? How many hours are on it now??? Do you have the reciept from the the dealer that would have the part # for the SC kit they used??? If we know the part # I can tell you if you are on 100 hr or 200 hr (per BRP) rebuild time frame. Most here will tell you that they wont let the SC go past 100 hours even if they have the 200 hr kit but it is all in how you ride the ski..I have had people with the old ceramic washers go almost 200 hours and have no issues...It is all in how you ride it...
    Are you referring to loading & unloading the jet pump of the water when you refer to "how you ride it"?

Cya

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    from what I understand the supercharger maintenance warning is not simply time based. The regular maintenance warning is, it's based on a calculation based on engine parameters. My wife's caddy has a pretty good system for tossing the "oil life" numbers on the dashboard. When she short trips, the numbers roll down to zero much faster then say we take a long road trip.

With the high stakes involved ( 5:1 and losing the ski for the season instead of for a week) do you really want to go all in with a pair of five's?

Big question

Did the dealer reset the supercharger warning after they did the work?

SHAME on them if they didn't

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

I just called the dealership that did my supercharger rebuild the last time it was rebuilt. He said part # 420881101 was used. There was about 190 hours on the ski at that point, now there are 290. He told me that the kit (above part #) that was used was the latest, greatest, and the most recent update. He said there was no need to rebuild the SC, he said to wait another 100 hours. He said the software on my ski caused the warning message to be displayed automatically at 100 hours, but whenever I bring my ski in he can update the 'software' on my ski and change the warning message to come on every 200 hours instead of every 100 hours.

Just a quick question to dolphin or anyone else that would like to answer it, 288 is a lot of hours for an 08 model ski,
    besides the issue your having at the moment has everything else been OK with the ski? Is it pretty
    much running the same now as when you first got it?
    I'm on 98 hours on my 08 TX and going to rebuild the S/C soon but still not sure if I want to keep it or upgrade to a new ski..
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rocstar09; 06-20-2013 at 09:25 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rocstar09 View Post
    Just a quick question to dolphin or anyone else that would like to answer it, 288 is a lot of hours for an 08 model ski,
    besides the issue your having at the moment has everything else been OK with the ski? Is it pretty
    much running the same now as when you first got it?
    I'm on 98 hours on my 08 TX and going to rebuild the S/C soon but still not sure if I want to keep it or upgrade to a new ski..
    Thanks in advance.

288 hours.. 452 on mine, no problems, but did have a lot of internals upgraded over winter for piece of mind, was running great and just like new all the way to 420 hours when the work was done

Thread Information