Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Powder Springs, Georgia USA jcat's Avatar
    +1

Securing PWC to trailer (Bow and Stern)

On the bow, do you hook the metal winch hook directly to the PWC? or run the nylon strap through the bow hook and attach the metal hook to it ? (seems less safe to me)

On the stern, so you use ratcheting straps ? (2) or them ? (or is one enough?)

Any comments ?

Mis-haps ?

Advice ?
    Last edited by K447; 06-19-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Securing

+1
    For the bow I hook directly to the bow eye hook with the metal hook. On the stern I use 2 short ratchet tie-downs connected to the rear tie-down eyelets.
    Last edited by Q in Arizona; 06-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I prefer metal to metal connection at the bow eye. I just do not trust the fabric loop to provide sufficient strength as it ages with exposure to the elements.

On my Triton Elite trailer if I use the fabric loop then the winch hook ends up contacting around the lower guide roller and possibly binding against it.

Note that the winch strap goes under the guide roller (which is below the bow roller).

The bow roller should be positioned so it just tucks under the bow lip and is above the hull bow eye. This allows the winch strap to pull the hull forward and hold it down when tight. The bow roller holds the nose of the hull in position against the strap tension, so the bow cannot move up or down.

At the rear I use a pair of ratchet straps to tightly hold the hull down against the bunks. When the trailer hits a big bump in the road at speed I want the ski and trailer to bounce and dance together, not moving around separately.

You can use either ratchet straps with hooks at both ends or boat trailer transom ratchet straps which bolt to the trailer and unwind to hook the strap end onto your hull.

Do not use cam style straps, they work themselves loose easily even when new while bouncing along the road and get even less grippy as the strapping wears at the cam.
    Last edited by K447; 06-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Powder Springs, Georgia USA jcat's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks K447 !

My Bow roller has worked itself lower over the years, so your details above are very valuable to me. I have been attaching above the bow roller. I will correct that immediately.

I have been using straps at the rear that are similar to ratchet straps, but you only PULL them tight. After hitting a speed bump at speed, I noticed that they loosened up (a no-no). I think I'm going to purchase some "spring-return" ratchet straps. It would be great if I could mount them permanently to the trailer. (I hate searching for them every time I load the PWC onto the trailer).

Thanks again !

+1
    "Note that the winch strap goes under the guide roller (which is below the bow roller)."

Yikes...I don't do that. When I asked a guy at the shop about which way should it go he said he does it over the roller. Your explanation on putting it under makes total sense though.

+1
    Here are some photos of how my bow winch and guide roller is configured.

I did replace the stock Triton guide roller with a much larger roller. I trimmed the ends off a four inch wide 'keel roller' to fit into the three inch wide space and also provide the flared side flanges which help keep the strap centered.

I also use a secondary 'safety chain' on the bow eye in case the winch latch fails or the strap fails. In my case I use a boat transom strap as the safety chain, as it retracts out of the way when launching.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2936 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	304203

Views:	1473 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	304204

Views:	1728 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	304205

Views:	489 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	304206

+1
    I don't have two rollers on mine and the one I do have doesn't come up nowhere near that high on my bow.

Name:	IMAG2860_zps4a16f4bb.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	304212

Name:	IMAG2861_zps38578e95.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	304213

Stern tie-downs

Name:	IMAG2866_zpsffd564cf.jpg 
Views:	1104 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	304214
    Last edited by Q in Arizona; 06-19-2013 at 01:48 PM.

+1
    I don't care for the winch hook connected directly to the bow eye so I made my own fabric loops out of ratchet strap material. My Yamahas have grommets in the rear platform so I hook to the trailer, up through one grommet, across the rear platform, down through the other grommet and hook to the trailer again. I do this on each ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcat View Post
    I have been using straps at the rear that are similar to ratchet straps, but you only PULL them tight. After hitting a speed bump at speed, I noticed that they loosened up (a no-no). I think I'm going to purchase some "spring-return" ratchet straps.

It would be great if I could mount them permanently to the trailer. (I hate searching for them every time I load the PWC onto the trailer)...
    I suspect you are using cam style straps, which are not the same as ratchet straps.

Proper ratchet straps actually have a lever that you ratchet back and forth to apply tension. They have a separate release mechanism when you need to loosen.

Do not go cheap. Cheap ratchet straps often have sharp edges or poor designs that can trap fingers, cut you or scrap the hull. And cheap sometimes rusts quickly.

If you want to bolt them to the trailer, shop for transom straps. These are very common for holding boats down on trailers. Again, don't go too cheap.

There are even stainless steel versions of ratchets available.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    I don't have two rollers on mine and the one I do have doesn't come up nowhere near that high on my bow.
    Why you never, never, never put the winch strap over the bow roller...

Car with SeaDoo watercraft on the roof

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information