Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Looking for my First RXP

Hey guys, I've owned skis before (2 strokes) and looking to get back into the game. I've decided on the RXP and looking at used machines. Are these motors reliable if taken care of properly? How many hours is typical for a well maintained motor (including SC services)? I know there are many factors that play a part in this answer. Of course I decided to buy at a bad time (prime season) and having a tough time finding the right deal. One that is certainly affordable and has an owner who's easy to work with has me hesitant because of the hours. 160hrs. Original owner, supposedly all services performed regularly and the SC steel washer upgrade was done around 150hrs, has the paperwork. He sounds like a helpful honest guy, I'm just nervous of the hours and figured I should check with the experienced guys. I'm sure I can get the ski for $4,500, maybe less. http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/3870094337.html Any advice, suggestions, tips? All my other machines are 4-strokes and I'm anal about maintenance. My experience with skis is limited.

Banned User
    +1
    There's guys with over 400 hours. I think 4500 is an ok deal. No great and not horrible

I'd say if it was taken care of decently enough, and its a fresh water only ski, then 160hrs isn't too bad - given the right price.
    Mine is fresh water only since new and I have nearly 300hrs on the ski. I have about 220hrs on my 2nd motor (with all mods always in this 2nd motor), which i replaced at the dealership and was dealer installed. I have virtually zero corrosion anywhere, which I believe has helped.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    There's guys with over 400 hours. I think 4500 is an ok deal. No great and not horrible
    I agree. I'm going to water test it tomorrow. The owner is pushing for that, and also welcomes compression testing so it sounds like he's confident in his ski. He lives on a lake so it's probably been mostly (if not all) fresh water. I personally will be riding mostly salt, partly why I'm anal on maintenance. From the pics the ski looks fantastic other than normal wear on the bottom of the hull. It's too hard to tell in pics the condition inside the hull so that's what I'll be inspecting most. I just looked at a 60hr RXP that was immacculate but he won't budge off $6,000. I'm going to look at the 160 hr ski tomorrow without plans of buying. If he'll take right around $4k and everything seems good, maybe I will. Next question, is saving $1,600-2,000 worth choosing a 160hr ski over a 60hr ski?

Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I'd say if it was taken care of decently enough, and its a fresh water only ski, then 160hrs isn't too bad - given the right price.
    Mine is fresh water only since new and I have nearly 300hrs on the ski. I have about 220hrs on my 2nd motor (with all mods always in this 2nd motor), which i replaced at the dealership and was dealer installed. I have virtually zero corrosion anywhere, which I believe has helped.
    What happened to your first motor? Popped at 70-80hrs? So the new motor has held up over 220hrs to your mods? That's good to hear. I mod everything I own too, and am sort of thinking with the money saved, I could put towards a rebuild with forged pistons if it goes down that road. For a general rebuild, should I be thinking lower end as well? Just trying to weigh all my options...

Banned User
    +1
    What year for 6k

+1
    07. Two years newer than the 160hr ski. Is there much of a difference?

Seems like I should have bought two months ago. Deals are really hard to find.

My first motor blew and it was completely 100% my fault. I towed the ski all afternoon behind a boat. It was my first 4-stroke and I bought it 2nd hand at only 6hrs...I had no idea you weren't supposed to tow these things without clamping the coolant inlet hose off. By doing that you keep the lake water from entering and back filling your cylinders! I cranked it up and hydro locked the motor....got it to crank over and drove it, all was "good". I just figured I had a random hard start. A month later a rod finally gave up and blew through the case. I got the old parts from dealer and you could see how the rod that snapped had a bend in it from hydro locking the motor.

Don't tow your ski without clamping "the hose" shut!! That lesson stung at the cost if about $4k, minus any mods that were added to it then.

I personally love these motors...nothing has broken that wasn't my own fault or that didn't fall under a maintenance/normal wear and tear category. But really, nothing has broken on mine anyway. That's pretty good considering I live in really hot temps (up to 115* air temps 2 months a year) and I ride on mostly flat water ---> I'm constantly beating the shit out of it with WOT passes.

Again I think my edge could be the fresh water and that I don't winterized it and let it sit for most of the year. The most mine will sit is a month.

+1
    Nice looking ski...and it comes with the trailer and cover.

Banned User
    +1
    I think a 2007 stock 60 hour rxp for 6,000 is high. If you can get the 2004 for 4000-4250 and everything checks out. Hand the guy the money and walk away smiling.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information