Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Why you need a breather upgrade

Well to start off my 2012 VXR has 35 hours on it and I ordered the breather upgrade and ribbon delete. In the process of the upgrade I noticed the same thing happening to my VXR as what had happened to my car. Well long story short they both are 4 bangers with drive by wire. Well not to long ago my car started acting up with the idle and stalling some times. I discovered in my breakdown of the intake, the valve cover smog line connecting to the intake had put alot of oil in the drive my wire throttle body and over time with oil and dirt it had clump on the butterfly valve on the throttle body and made the car have an "idle hunt" and stall with the ac on in multi point turns. Well in the breakdown of the ski I found the same oil coming into the throttle body the same as the car. I installed something similar as the Riva breather upgrade to my car. All in all these smog controls shooting oil back into the throttle body is bad news.

Here are some pics of the oil and ideas for mounting as well.

The last one is the car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1371787841460.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	304392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1371787853357.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	304393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1371787863856.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	304394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1371787875753.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	304395  

+1
    A lot of people do similar things to get ride of the oil in to the intake deal. Ran mine for a season with just a filter and then switched over to a catch can breather to avoid the oil saturating the filter and running down on to the exhaust manifold.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonic View Post
    A lot of people do similar things to get ride of the oil in to the intake deal. Ran mine for a season with just a filter and then switched over to a catch can breather to avoid the oil saturating the filter and running down on to the exhaust manifold.
    Catch can goes in line with the filter still intact? Do you have a link for one?

+1
    i couldnt stand the smell of oil everytime we stopped, so i rerouted it back into the intake hose

+1
    the black box in front of the computer is the OEM function oil catch can. Notice that there is a return line at the bottom of it for oil to drain into the oil pain. When you install the filter on the return line, you will get vapors from the head mostly at idle and half throttle but this will keep oil out of your intake and keep things clean.There is no need to pull a vacuum on this catch can.......just be sure and install the filter so that it can vent. Also, this will prevent you from blowing your engine! Think about this.....with a hi boost ski, oil in the intake is bad news. This causes our engines to run lean and could result in blowing a cylinder. Guy dont go out and spend your hard earned money on a catch can either.........you can make them for about $25 out of PVC, plastic barbed fittings, drain valve on bottle and a small filter from your local auto parts store.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tcr0148 View Post
    the black box in front of the computer is the OEM function oil catch can. Notice that there is a return line at the bottom of it for oil to drain into the oil pain. When you install the filter on the return line, you will get vapors from the head mostly at idle and half throttle but this will keep oil out of your intake and keep things clean.There is no need to pull a vacuum on this catch can.......just be sure and install the filter so that it can vent. Also, this will prevent you from blowing your engine! Think about this.....with a hi boost ski, oil in the intake is bad news. This causes our engines to run lean and could result in blowing a cylinder. Guy dont go out and spend your hard earned money on a catch can either.........you can make them for about $25 out of PVC, plastic barbed fittings, drain valve on bottle and a small filter from your local auto parts store.
    What black box? I want an aluminum catch can, I don't mind spending money.

+1
    the black box that the hose is coming out of running to the intake.........where the little filter is added

+1
    My bad bro, the breather assembly doesnt come on the VXR, only the models with a super charger. None the less, you can still install the catch can off the hose thats running off of the rear of the valve cover. Keeping oil out of your intake is very important..........oil in the intake causes Detonation

+1
    http://www.catchcans.com/can2.html#

This one is billet if you are looking to spend a little cheddar and has really good reviews on ls1 tech. It also has the filter on top to release oil vapors. I would shy away from the $40 ebay china built specials and get a quailty product if your not into making one yourself.

If you have any questions on the quality, give russ a call

Russ Breeden
    RKB Engineering
    www.CatchCans.com
    407-321-5133

+1
    I want one I can unscrew the bottom to dump the oil.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information