2002 Virage 800 water injection solenoid.

Have a 2002 Virage 800 DI , (Its not mine) The last time i worked on it for the guy it was going into limp mode. And we found the water injection solenoid was broke and not connected. So i'm going to remove it this weekend. (Thanks K447 for the links last year lol)

If we don't put a resister pig tail on it, will it run right? Or do i need to do that to keep it from going into limp mode?

But then again,I've read in a few threads that this will not cause it to go in limp mode at all?

+1
    I did not put a resistor in line and i have been running for a few seasons with no issues.

Ok, Thanks. I will try to get rid of this thing this weekend.

I just got off the phone with the owner and said he tried it on the lake yesterday with solenoid hooked up. And said after a few mins it went into limp mode. He did notice the head was pretty hot.

I guess i need to flush the cooling system. Maybe thermostat (If has one) is bad.

What actually pumps the water on these engines? He said it runs fine on water hose.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkyle2 View Post
    Ok, Thanks. I will try to get rid of this thing this weekend.

I just got off the phone with the owner and said he tried it on the lake yesterday with solenoid hooked up. And said after a few mins it went into limp mode. He did notice the head was pretty hot.

I guess i need to flush the cooling system. Maybe thermostat (If has one) is bad.

What actually pumps the water on these engines? He said it runs fine on water hose.
    You do need to do some more reading up on these things

The jet pump provides all the water pressure for cooling the engine. See my signature links for info on cleaning the intake screen inside the jet pump exit nozzle, cleaning the mesh filter for the exhaust water injection, and checking the thermostat and pressure bypass valve.

All these things need to be in good working order. Running well on the trailer with a garden hose means nothing, as without a water load on the jet pump the engine can often easily start and rev even if it has problems.

The (unique to the two cylinder fuel injected Virage i) water injection solenoid dumps extra water into the exhaust tract during certain engine modes. It is an emissions device primarily, hence the ability to delete it. The resistor bypass only prevents the EMM from logging a trouble code, but it does not affect the operation of the engine if the resistor (or the solenoid) is not present.

Was the cylinder head getting hot while running on the garden hose, or out on the lake?

Do check all the water cooling hoses, especially the water flow through the EMM via the small hoses. If the EMM does not have proper water cooling it will overheat and fail. Reverse flush on the garden hose does not provide proper cooling to the EMM.

Note that two minutes is the maximum run time on the garden hose with the jet pump spinning. The jet pump shaft seals can overheat when the hull is out of the water.
    Last edited by K447; 07-05-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Good news... For me anyways ... And Good news for you you polaris boys, I will be out of your hair :P

I wired up the dealieo with a resistor. And capped the ends, Never did get to lake test it. After doing all that and flushing everything.

He ended up selling it. And didn't lose too much money on it.

So i guess i'm on to his next Ski, Which is a Seadoo. I guess if you wander into the sea doo section these next couple weeks/months you will "SEA" me there

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkyle2 View Post

So i guess i'm on to his next Ski, Which is a Seadoo. I guess if you wander into the sea doo section these next couple weeks/months you will "SEA" me there
    Do drop by and visit us in here from time to time. We love visitors.

Thread Information