Standup on swim platform of boat. Bad idea?

We're headed across the bay for a weekend on the boat with another couple. We stuck the 650 on the swim platform with the thought that it'd be fun to have for the weekend, but I just worry about damaging my transom/losing the whole thing boat is an Aquasport 290tm (29ft, 12ft wide).

Any thoughts/advice/alternate ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-19_20-51-05_467.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	304423

+1
    I'd say bad idea. Just imagine the loads on that swim platform especially if it gets rough. If going slow it may be OK though.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Swim platforms are designed to have weight (people) on them when the boat is not underway. So the platform just needs to withstand its own weight and the forces of water during rough weather boating.

Do you know how sturdy the swim platform structure really is and how strongly it is attached to your boat transom?

You seem worried about it already, which suggests you don't trust the extra weight will not damage something.

Can you put the watercraft inside the boat and just step around it until you get where you are going? Strap it down, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Swim platforms are designed to have weight (people) on them when the boat is not underway. So the platform just needs to withstand its own weight and the forces of water during rough weather boating.

Do you know how sturdy the swim platform structure really is and how strongly it is attached to your boat transom?

You seem worried about it already, which suggests you don't trust the extra weight will not damage something.

Can you put the watercraft inside the boat and just step around it until you get where you are going? Strap it down, of course.
    Well, I have my doubts for the reasons outlined already...dynamic loading is not to be underestimated...but at the same time, I see boats of similar size hauling tenders with small outboards that I imagine weigh pretty close to what a 650sx weighs. Its my buddy and his wife, and my wife and I...so I'm going to see if between the 4 of us we can get it into the cockpit this afternoon before we get underway...if not I'm going to propose we either leave it, or run the entire way at 7knts or less.

Welll, we went for it...worked pretty well as far as I can tell. Kill switch started acting up on the second day of riding, but we had fun till then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-06-21_16-14-04_100.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	304718

I have done this many times before. It works fine as long as the boat is well built. Just take a quick peek at it and see how it is supported. Its nothing different than having 3 or 4 people standing on it.

Thread Information