Polaris MSX 110, MSX 150 with Weber turbo engine - oil options?

hey guys i have a 03 polaris msx 110 and im needing to change the engine oil.

The operators manual calls for Polaris PS4 oil which i can get from a local Polaris dealer.

How ever every one has been telling me to use Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic.

When i called Polaris they told me the old PS4 was a 0w-40 synthetic oil and the new PS4 is 5w-50 synthetic oil.

Now here is my question. I work for a John Deere dealership and I have access to a 0w-40 synthetic oil. would this be ok to run in my ski or should i stick to the 15w-50 or the ps4?

i can get the 15w-50 at walmart no problem but being i have access to the 0w-40 i can get it a little cheaper than the mobile 1.

Any advice would be appreciated!!! thanks in advance
    Last edited by K447; 06-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I thought MSX 110 was 2004 model year only

Last two digits of the HIN number plate on the rear deck are the model year.

I will let the Weber experts answer the oil question.

it probably is an 04 i just got it this past winter and i just got it out last weekend. not to fimaliar with it

+1
    From all the Weber expert knowledge of past active members... here is what the consensus seems to be to use:

Polaris Marine PS-4 Synthetic 15W-50
    or
    Mobil 1 15w-50 Synthetic

Ensure you use an oil formulation that still contains zinc. Most current automotive oils on the market do not contain zinc anymore (thanks to the EPA....). Zinc is a crucial additive to help protect against metal to metal contact and scuffing.

The Weber valvetrain is sensitive to sub-standard oils with no zinc because of the valve springs tension and cam to roller rocker design.

There are still great commercial oils available that still contain zinc.... Good old Shell Rotella formulations for diesel engines is a good example
    Rotella T comes in 15w-40... which is pretty close to 15w-50. But it's non-synthetic, so I'd worry about it breaking down under the heat of the turbocharged engine. Rotella T6 is full synthetic but comes in 5w-40... and that's not what Weber spec's... so not sure.

I've used Rotella T (15w-40) for break-in oil... and would recommend for cheap oil if you had to flush the engine multiple times to get rid of moisture in the oil system.

But I use Mobil 1 15w-50 for regular usage. YMMV.

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ebbtide182 View Post
    it probably is an 04 i just got it this past winter and i just got it out last weekend. not to fimaliar with it
    It will be worth your while to look through my signature links and also read through some of the Technical threads on the Weber engine, and the MSX hull.

There are a number of things that are not as they appear, or are easy to overlook. Correct oil level is easily overfilled, for example.

The through-hull bearing carrier needs rebuilding every so often.

Lots of little stuff to check and understand.

+1
    The 15W-50 has a higher Zinc content than the other Mobil products.
    Cuda; You are correct about the Rotella FULL Synthetic, I have some on my shelf, but I don't ride often enough to endurance test it.

The Weber engine requires a high level of Zinc, and it must be a full synthetic or the turbocharger cooks it immediately. A "basic" oil is fine for break-in.
    Some overseas customers have used Motul, but I'm not sure of the quality? possibly there are some owners that have extended hours on their engines with good results?

Regards,
    Randy

I guess that must be the difference between the ps4 oil and the ps4 marine oil. My dealer is atv only not water craft but when I called they told me the ps4 was a weight of 5w-50 and it used to be a 0w-40 until they changed it. That's why I was questioning using the John deere 0w-40 full synthetic. I have looked all through my books at work but I can't find any info on zinc rating but it did tell me it was formulated for Diesel engines. Walmart carries the Mobil 1 15-50 so I will get it. Like I said I was just inquiring about the 0w-40 since I have easier access to it over the Mobil 1

Thread Information